VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by neuro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know it's slightly OT, but thing bothers me since I set dual-boot with old good 6.22 again. Is there any way to emulate better GM sound on SBLive ? It sounds like utter crap in DOS games... I regret getting rid of perfect DOS souncard which GUS made.
There is fine Yamaha tool for S-YXG emulation, unfortunatelly only for Win.
TIA, regards.

Reply 1 of 6, by Nytegard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try a different soundfont.

Unfortunately, SB Live, Audigy, etc don't have the best sound quality (either in terms of their horrible FM emulation, or even sound blaster emulation).

You could always try an external midi sound module and go through your pc's midi port.

Reply 2 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by neuro I know it's slightly OT, but thing bothers me since I set dual-boot with old good 6.22 again. Is there any way to emulate better GM sound on SBLive ?

I'm amazed that you got a SB Live running with DOS 6.22 in the first place.

Reply 3 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Considering that both the card and the DOS drivers were based off of the same Ensoniq technology that was used to make the PCI128 that I used in DOS, I'm not so surprised. In fact, I bet that they could extend the exact same support to the Audigy family if they wanted. I don't think it was very good though, as it used boring 2, 4, or 8MB Ensoniq wavesets (.ECW files) for wavetable MIDI instead of soundfonts or DLS files.

Reply 4 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ Considering that both the card and the DOS drivers were based off of the same Ensoniq technology that was used to make the PCI128 that I used in DOS, I'm not so surprised.

Well since the Live drivers need EMM386 for DOS support and EMM386 for DOS6 isn't the same as Win9x... How many other people have successfully used a Live with DOS6 or earlier?

Reply 5 of 6, by neuro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure about DOS 5.x, but I haven't experienced problems with running SBLive 1024 under MSDOS 6 nor DRDOS (the second one has always been my fav 😉 And partially answering my own question: I replaced default.ecw with 8MB soundfont. GM sounds better now, but it's still far from perfect. Have to get my GUS back :>

Reply 6 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Well since the Live drivers need EMM386 for DOS support and EMM386 for DOS6 isn't the same as Win9x... How many other people have successfully used a Live with DOS6 or earlier?

I'd be surprised if Creative (or Ensoniq more likely) had DOS 7 (Win9x) in mind rather than DOS 6 when they made those DOS drivers. I also don't remember EMM386 being much different between the two versions of DOS. The big difference seemed to be in the memory footprint of the OS, which was much larger in DOS 7 (probably due to FAT32 support and Win9x hooks)

On a side note, I actually had problems running AWE64 drivers in DOS. I can't remember why exactly, but parts of the DOS package refused to run because they "knew" that Win9x was installed on the system as a result of the DOS version. Using DOSVER didn't seem to help IIRC.