VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hard to believe, but I've completely forgotten how to make a CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT file. The strange thing is that I never remember having to make them before. Tweak them yes, but the base part was always there. However since I reinstalled Windows, config.sys and autoexec.bat are nowhere to be seen...

Anyway, I'm really having trouble trying to figure out how to get my CD-ROM (some old Toshiba drive), Sound Blaster AWE32, and Ensoniq Soundscape loaded in DOS. Can someone give me some advice on how to recreate these files?

Tempest

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 1 of 6, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How were you looking for them? In Explorer? Make sure that you have "Hide protected operating system files" unchecked in the folder options (or maybe it was "show all hidden files and folders") otherwise Config.sys and Autoexec.bat will be hidden from sight when looking in Explorer. If you're viewing in a DOS window then they should be there....if you are using Win9x anyway.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 2 of 6, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MusicallyInspired wrote:

How were you looking for them? In Explorer? Make sure that you have "Hide protected operating system files" unchecked in the folder options (or maybe it was "show all hidden files and folders") otherwise Config.sys and Autoexec.bat will be hidden from sight when looking in Explorer. If you're viewing in a DOS window then they should be there....if you are using Win9x anyway.

Actually I was using msconfig and the tabs for autoexec.bat and config.sys tabs were blank.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 4 of 6, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

They are already there,but since they are hidden files you will have to make them able to see via the folder options.You can also use sysedit.exe in Run

Won't Sysedit and msconfig sort of do the same thing in the end? Or are they altering different config.sys and autoexec.bat files?

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 5 of 6, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows probably didn't make lines any. It doesn't really need any.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 6 of 6, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

autoexec.bat :

@echo off
SET SOUND=C:\SBAWE32
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
LH C:\SBAWE32\DIAGNOSE /S
LH C:\SBAWE32\AWEUTIL /S
LH C:\SBAWE32\SB16SET /P /Q
LH C:\Dos\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD0001
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE
PROMPT $P$g

config.sys :

DEVICE=C:\Windows\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.EXE NOEMS OR (DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE 4096 RAM)
DEVICEHIGH=C:\SBAWE32\DRV\CSP.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220
DEVICEHIGH=C:\SBAWE32\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5
DEVICEHIGH=C:\SBAWE32\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\cdromdrivename.SYS /D:MSCD0001
LASTDRIVEHIGH=F