VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by another

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It`s hard to find infos about this theme. And where ever you find something and fix a problem the next two problems come up

Where ever you go, you see no more maintenances.

I want to play old dos/win games. did try a lot of ways but all end in nowhere...

DosBox
It`s nice, works for some games but some don`t.

VirtualBox
Is nice, but does not support Dos and not support Win95. Win98 will run but there are no guest additions available. WinXP with guest additions works fine but right now this is an up to date system.

vmware
The free vmware server graphic is to slow.

Vmware workstation which is not free works better. Guest additions are available for Windows 98. Graphic is working with 1024x768 very nice, Sound is working and you can drag & drop files inside the vm.

I tested to run Star Trek The Next Generation - A Final Unity but Win98 is still to new for this game.

Win98 inside vmware server could be sill nice for older windows games.

Dos 7.x from Win98 is very bad. After long searching I found a dos driver for soundblaster (the virtual sound card). But this one doesn`t install because dos is newer then 6.22.

dos 6.22 inside vmware
dos 6.22 would be maybe the best for old dos games but the way there is hard.

You can install it inside vmware, but then you are kinda finished.

No guest additions are available for dos, so exchanging data with the vm is very hard.

I did try to create a .iso where I included driver for cd, mouse and sound. Dos could not read it because I think the cd was not in dos 6.22 compatible format (fat16?). Is there an iso creator which creates dos compatible iso`s which I can mount with vmware then?

dos 6.22 on real comp
This might be good but currently I have no free harddrive for that and I don`t want to mess up my productive system. Dualboot with dos 6.22 / win xp is no longer supported.

on real comp...
I have intel p4 and I am a bit scared that my real hardware is not compatible with dos anymore and that I won`t get drivers for graphic and so on.

I don´t even have a real disk anymore so it`s hard to use this bootdisks.

dos on usb stick or usb harddrive
This would be really nice but I don`t think dos can be booted from usb and read from usb? Can it?

questions
What is the best solution to be able to run any[/b] old dos / old win application?[/b]

Are there some premade distributions for old dos / win? I did like to have some preconfigured dos with all needed drivers or premade vmware/whatever images.

Reply 1 of 12, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Every single DOS game I've tried with DOSBox has worked flawlessly and I've tried many from simple CGA stuff to complex resource hogs like Magic Carpet 1&2 and Wing Commander III. If it's convenience you want then DOSBox with a decent front end like D.O.G is a winning combination.

Reply 3 of 12, by another

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dh4rm4 wrote:

Every single DOS game I've tried with DOSBox has worked flawlessly and I've tried many from simple CGA stuff to complex resource hogs like Magic Carpet 1&2 and Wing Commander III. If it's convenience you want then DOSBox with a decent front end like D.O.G is a winning combination.

Thanks for the hint, did not know about dog, checking it yet. 😀

wd wrote:

dos 6.22 would be maybe the best for old dos games but the way there is hard.

This is definitely the worst choice for old games, or games which heavily
depend on cpu speed.

Ok, indeed. Damn right, now I don`t need to test this way...

Well, maybe I should just get a legacy box for the legacy apps. Them are very cheep and if you are at the right place to the right time you can get them before someone put them into trash.

But I did try to prevent getting another box.

Reply 4 of 12, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Dos 7.x from Win98 is very bad. After long searching I found a dos driver for soundblaster (the virtual sound card). But this one doesn`t install because dos is newer then 6.22"

you need to use the setver command

Syntax

Sets the MS-DOS version number that Windows reports to a program.
Display current version table: SETVER [drive:path]
Add entry: SETVER [drive:path] filename n.nn
Delete entry: SETVER [drive:path] filename /DELETE [/QUIET]

[drive:path] Specifies location of the SETVER.EXE file.
filename Specifies the filename of the program.
n.nn Specifies the MS-DOS version to be reported to the program.
/DELETE or /D Deletes the version-table entry for the specified program.
/QUIET or /Q Hides the message typically displayed during deletion of version-table entry.

Reply 5 of 12, by another

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Davros for the hint. Could be good if this works, because I could exchange data with the vm in vmware with drag and drop and go in dos mode to play old games.

Two questions...

I type setver, a lot of informations are showed but to fast so I can`t see the first ones. How I can get a pause? For dir there was dir /p. Something similar?

What versions I have to change to get this driver installed?

Reply 6 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

setver |more

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
another wrote:

Dos 7.x from Win98 is very bad. After long searching I found a dos driver for soundblaster (the virtual sound card). But this one doesn`t install because dos is newer then 6.22.

One solitary experience is very poor justification for declaring anything to be "very bad". The old Sound Blaster DOS drivers are probably the only thing you will ever encounter that will work with DOS 6.22 but not DOS 7.x.

Reply 8 of 12, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the only thing you will ever encounter that will work with DOS 6.22 but not DOS 7.x.

Do you happen to know if it's just about the version check (so setver would
most likely work) for that sound driver stuff?

Reply 9 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think we had this discussion somewhere before; as I recall, it also checks whether the filesystem on the boot drive is FAT32, and the only foolproof way is to use a DOS 6.22 boot floppy.

Unfortunately, I can't find the thread at the moment.

Reply 12 of 12, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

set it to dos 6.22
setver does indeed work ive done it
ps: i dont think the sb drivers check for fat32 as they are meant to be for dos which is fat16 (fat32 came out with win95 osr2) and they dont check to see if the drive is fat16 as i have installed on a fat32 hdd