Common searches

Game Database Ideas

Topic actions

First post, by BrainWave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there!

I was wondering if a list of every existing MS-DOS game exists? Like the GoodTools for console games for example...

Thanks! 😉

Reply 3 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mobygames would be your best bet but a PC isn't a console there are literally thousands upon thousands of DOS games out there.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 43, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting
I've been thinking about starting a database, but I didn't have a good subject.
I know this sounds ambitious, but... every game. ever
ever ever

A database whose goal is listing and (to a limited degree) cross-referencing every video/computer game... ever.
I should be able to find tons of information that I can just copy and paste, or copy, paste and run through a filter program (removing HTML tags, ratings, comments, etc.).

Does anybody feel like hosting it? Otherwise I'll figure out a way to put it on my MySpace page or use the personal web server from AnalogX.

Last edited by general_vagueness on 2008-02-01, 13:56. Edited 1 time in total.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 8 of 43, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mobygames is a decent start, but if you've ever collected DOS games and tried cataloging them and compared with moby, moby is missing a dearth of games from their database. The problem with mobygames is they deliberately impede adding to their database. They require that you add each game seperately and provide a flowery summary for each. They are more interested in a long fawning summary than they are to catalog.

Reply 9 of 43, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not really. I mean we already have mobygames. It would make more sense to simply add the missing games there.

mobygames only counts retail commercial titles, and they don't accept everything.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 43, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was thinking listing all submitted games but marking unconfirmed ones, and ones that are semi-confirmed.
I would include free games, but only if they're "notable"; big enough and different enough to be worth playing for a significant amount of time by someone who's played a bunch of games like it, like "Square Fair", an old QBASIC game I had a while ago that totally deserves a mention (GIYF, Google is your friend). In fact, I'm going to look for it now.
I wouldn't require a summary (depending on room, I might not even accept any), multiple people (>5 or >10 or something) claiming they've played it would be enough, of course, playing it would help.
Does anyone else think this is one of those "why didn't anyone think of this before" ideas?

oh, and obviously, FREE

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 11 of 43, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not just new entries either, moby requires a seperate entry for each correction as well. I would sort and compare and end up with a list of corrections that are needed, but it's not worth the effort to go through mobygames process to report them.

Reply 12 of 43, by BrainWave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

general_vagueness, great idea to start such a huge project! =)

here is a list of a 3000 DOS games pack that can be found on the Internet :
http://www1.speedyshare.com/data/392826862/15 … scollection.txt

maybe this can be a good starting point? 😮

console games and old computers games databases already exist like those for example and the are pretty complete :
http://www.allgoodthings.us/mambo/
http://www.tosec.org/
http://www.gbadat.altervista.org/

so i'm not sure it's a good idea to start another database project for them...

but there is NO real database for our beloved MS-DOS games... so i cound be really cool if one can be made =)

Reply 13 of 43, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MobyGames is indeed klunky, but it is the best we have right now. All important games are respresented there. However, a stripped-down technical database would be very useful, including the following information:

Name
Release Date
Developer
Publisher
Format (# disks/CDs, disk type)
System Requirements/Recommendations (official)
Platform (Booter/DOS/Win 3.1/Win 9x/Win XP)
Patches
Notes

Reply 14 of 43, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like the idea of a patches listing. It might be nice to include information about after market ports, such as the Phantasmagoria 2 to DOS or LBAWin.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 15 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A database is only as as good as it's maintainer and the people contributing to it. (Submitters will find any way possible to enter data in ways you couldn't possibly think of....No we will not have a discussion on how users shouldn't be able to submit incorrect data).

It would probably be best to submit the issues in this thread to the MobyGames people.

Yes, it's nice to create your own database but the likelyhood of it staying around very long isn't very good, not to mention the fact of maintaining it and the quality of submissions.

Look at me with my Game Compatibility list excel spreadsheet. 1 guy entering all of this information that is MUCH more accurate than any other database/compatibility list and yet......it's still on an excel spreadsheet and I have tons of information/ideas yet to enter. I'm thinking when I go into retirement when I'm 60 then I'll finally put all of the information into a database.....if I can still open it by then....

If I'd just stop focussing on compatibility then I'd be able to do alot more.....but I like to play my games so I don't see that happening any time soon. (and I don't trust anyone else to submit data to my list because people suck).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 43, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I wanted to waste anymore of my time I would submit my commentary to mobygames, but as I've said, they set it up this way by design, and as those who've ever dealt with the maintainers know, they have their idea for how they want to run their database and it's futile to argue with them about it.

Reply 18 of 43, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One thing that has always troubled me about DosFreak's list is its inclusion of emulated games. I think it unnecessarily adds to such a listing. A NES game is not a PC game, no matter how well its emulated. It would be better to simply list which emulators work on which operating system. Whether a game ROM works or not is more the problem of the emulator, not the underlying hardware.

I believe the ideal list is one that identifies an individual game, catalogues its iterations, and describes the supported and ideal hardware configuration for it.