Game Database Ideas

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 43, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ih8registrations wrote:

Great find WolverineDK. Their tact is how I've gone about it. Unfortunately, they're refusing new accounts.

Yeah, it is sad they refuses new accounts. But still I deleted the link (and message) because I linked to something you could call illegal around here. But you can ask on IRC , but still I am not really fond off IRC. But still if you fancy internet relay chat, then check out if you can get an invite for me too . But PM me the details then.

Reply 21 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Great Hierophant wrote:

One thing that has always troubled me about DosFreak's list is its inclusion of emulated games. I think it unnecessarily adds to such a listing. A NES game is not a PC game, no matter how well its emulated. It would be better to simply list which emulators work on which operating system. Whether a game ROM works or not is more the problem of the emulator, not the underlying hardware.

I believe the ideal list is one that identifies an individual game, catalogues its iterations, and describes the supported and ideal hardware configuration for it.

Hmmm, when I call it the "PC Game Compatibility List" I didn't mean to give the impression that it was just "PC Games", more like "Games that play on your PC".

Since console games game be played on the PC then they count as "PC Games".

Console games are added because they can be played on the PC and they are tested on each OS because eventually emulators stop development on older OS's. So wether a game works or not is very important to me depending on which OS that I am testing for. It's the point of the list, to have a compatibility list that compares compatibility between OS's.

There's also the fact that some console games are remakes of their PC counterparts and that some games that were originally PC only would be created for console that were not ported back to PC. This games deserve to be mentioned on this list.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 23 of 43, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not dead and I haven't been ignoring the subject, I've just been waiting to have something to say that's nearly as good/interesting as my last post.
I looked at MobyGames (or however you capitalize it) and it's pretty good, but I saw some of the problems mentioned. I also looked at BrainWave's links, but the first 3 are pretty limited and the last one...
1. it uses frames (I don't really mind, but many people hate them),
2. it's a little slow/unresponsive, and
3. my German is really rusty, and using "Page Info --> Translate this page" (Google add-on) is a little annoying.
I would have a fairly simple, utilitarian page.
I've thought about it, and if you really care:
columns

Name Platform/Method Release Date Developer/Publisher Status

the name of the game, the console/type of computer it's for (and cartridge/disk/booter/download), when it was released, who made it, how confirmed it is (put in terms of confirmations received), if it's still being made/still available, commercial/shareware/free, language(s) and other names, and the name might be a link to download it or go to its web site if it's freeware

I would do it on a basis of "send in info about a game", if I get a lot of them, that game is probably legit. This is after I've gotten what I can from MobyGames and other places, of course.
thoughts, suggestions? 😀

Last edited by general_vagueness on 2008-02-02, 15:58. Edited 1 time in total.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 24 of 43, by djp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mobygames only counts retail commercial titles, and they don't accept everything.

All one needs to do is take more than a cursory look at Moby's database to know they accept more than just retail commercial titles. They don't accept everything, true, there has to be some verifiable info - your cousin Bobby's game that he wrote in seventh grade for computer class probably won't make it on (unless he "published" it on the web somewhere). Nor is it difficult at all to submit games - some of the Mobyusers who submit games are as young as 14, 15, 16 - do you really think they know more about games than you?

Never try to outstubborn a cat. - Lazarus Long

Reply 25 of 43, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. x knows/doesn't know more about games doesn't relate to difficult or not of submitting. 2. You're defending what isn't being argued. It's not a matter of difficult, it's a matter of tedious.

Reply 26 of 43, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Indeed, boredom is often considered the main bane of geekdom; I know it's more stressful for me than things that would be more stressful for other people. For my DB, you would put all the information you have into the form, click "Submit", and go on with your life.
I know you're thinking about accuracy; it's kind of the same philosophy behind a wiki, the information submitted the most is probably accurate, and I would put some in myself (like I said, I should be able to find over 90% of the existing commercial games on the Internet already) and I would give a "direct line" of sorts to people I trust about games, mainly some of you. 😀

Last edited by general_vagueness on 2008-02-04, 16:22. Edited 1 time in total.

How to become a hacker

Reply 27 of 43, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

general_vagueness: whether you trust me or not. Then fine 😀 But I haven´t burned any one in a trade . Since I feel that is disrespectful, but well I don´t do that much business, and trades. But all in all, I don´t like people who burn people off.

Reply 28 of 43, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rrrrrright.... What happened between you two?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 29 of 43, by djp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. x knows/doesn't know more about games doesn't relate to difficult or not of submitting. 2. You're defending what isn't being argued. It's not a matter of difficult, it's a matter of tedious.

So...you want an accurate database, but you don't want to put any effort into it, because thats boring.

Never try to outstubborn a cat. - Lazarus Long

Reply 30 of 43, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More leading assertions. Have you stopped beating your spouse? 1. Accuracy doesn't equate to requiring a submission interface like mobys, nor is accuracy defined as an entry with a summation. 2. It's needlessly wasted effort, not unwillingness to put in effort or that it's boring. Apparently it's personal and news to you that mobygames submission process is subpar. Actually, your attitude is along the lines of the mantainers, which is why I don't bother beating my head against wall trying to get them to change it. It's more economical to find another project like WolverineDK has found, or setup my own. That I point out moby's flaws, refuse to waste my time on it, and look elsewhere, you'll just have to live with, or not; the result is the same on my end.

Reply 31 of 43, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Eeeerhm ? 😀

the link I showed before, I deleted my link. Was Underground - Gamer (with a dot com after it). Which is considered warez, but their wiki is great, or at least they are doing a great effort. Where they are trying to do a fucking big 😀 database over PC MS DOS and other stuff. Well, they are doing a great effort.

Reply 33 of 43, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
WolverineDK wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Eeeerhm ? 😀

the link I showed before, I deleted my link. Was Underground - Gamer (with a dot com after it). Which is considered warez, but their wiki is great, or at least they are doing a great effort. Where they are trying to do a fucking big 😀 database over PC MS DOS and other stuff. Well, they are doing a great effort.

I didn't see that before it was deleted, and I never said anything about trading 😕.
I'd like to really get across that I would use what's already available (and so is probably accurate) and accept submissions, allowing it to grow and not limiting it to games I can personally get (which is quite a limit in my case, I don't have much money and I live in Michigan, which isn't known for a thriving gamer community).
In case you're wondering (and/or about to post), I wouldn't include anything that has less than about 20 games for it (arcade machines, the VS systems, the Odyssey, the Channel F, certain handhelds), or systems that are practically impossible to get (unless I got requests for listings for those systems).
Possibly most important, it would be plain and simple, no Java, no PHP, not even any controls or pictures, just a header (explaining the columns), a list, and maybe a few links. I was thinking about a search function, then I remembered even IE 5 has a "Find on this page" function.
Also, DosFreak, you tried converting your list into XML and there were problems, what about regular HTML (or something else in fhe family, like SGML)? and regarding time, would you trust someone else to at least convert your list from one format to another?
I (and others I'm sure) would be more than happy to do it.

Last edited by general_vagueness on 2008-02-04, 16:21. Edited 1 time in total.

How to become a hacker

Reply 34 of 43, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

general_vagueness: the post I made was "hey look here what I have found and then I posted the link" .

But your post about trust was why, I said whether you trust or not. Then I would never burn people off, in a trade. Not that it matters, but I just wanted to say, you can trust me. But you don´t have to. So it is not per say a must, just personal info about me. And since you live in Michigan, you could maybe find some people who has your interests through the ASSEMbler board. Which is a great little place about the obscure in video games and so forth.

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2008-02-04, 16:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 35 of 43, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

oh, well thanks, it was kind of hard to understand the way you put it; we can tell English isn't your first language, even without "Peter Meter Termometer har en pik på fyrre meter"; what does that mean anyway? meter long iron... "meter-stick", if you will (a guess)?
one note: comma usage (,) and other punctuatioin can throw people off more than they realize
speaking of which, could someone change the title, it's a little bit annoying

How to become a hacker

Reply 36 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also, DosFreak, you tried converting your list into XML and there were problems, what about regular HTML (or something else in fhe family, like SGML)? and regarding time, would you trust someone else to at least convert your list from one format to another?
I (and others I'm sure) would be more than happy to do it.

I used to maintain the list in a .XLS spreadsheet but I converted it over to .XML (Office 2003) about 1.5-2yrs ago. When I post it here at VOGONS though I convert it back to .XLS since alot of the users downloading it had issues opening .XML with whatever programs they were using.

If I convert the XML to .HTML or .MHT then the filesize is just too big and it's too much of a load to process. (and it also remove the ability for the user to customize the list themselves if they wish)

The only realistic way to serve this list as a webpage is to have a database as the backend.

You can use the data in my list however you wish, but it would be a good idea to mention where you aquired the data and to specify where the data came from.

My list is 100% my research so I don't cite any other sources in my list. (unless it's "Best of" or "Game Ratings" or the like)......I think the only site I've really used in-depth for the list was Wikipedia for some of the Game Engine stuff and that was mostly for verification since alot of the game I have identified are easily recognized by their filesystem layout or intro screens.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-02-04, 16:50. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 37 of 43, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

pik = prick/cock fyrre = forty (as I said , it was a dirty rhyme) på is a Danish word, which means "on" but also it can mean "at" "in" and so forth, when you translate a sentence with "på" in it. But the direct meaning of that word is "on".

I can´t figure commas out, neither in Danish or English. The Danes uses the metric scale, so meter = metre.

My primary language is Danish, but my secondary is English of course. But I understand Swedish and Norwegian too. When I spell wrong, then it is because I type too fast. Not that I don´t know how to spell the English words.

Peter metre thermometer has a prick which is 40 metres. That is the closest translation I can get without breaking the Danish rhyme in pieces and make the translation, more or less "Danglish" which I hate. Danglish is mixture of English and Danish , and I find it horrible. Or it is the English language "perfectly sproken" (sproken = broken and spoken mixed together) , and if you want to hear some people speak English that way. Then listen to some of the Danish politicians , since they are horrible (a lot of them are). Anders Fogh Rasmussen is one of them, but one of the worst are Per Stig Møller, who has been our secretary of foreign affairs But I enjoy speaking, and writing the English language without having too many errors in my speech or writing.

Reply 39 of 43, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it so happens the wolverine is the state animal of Michigan, and ironically we're pretty much the only state in this part of the country where you can't find one any more (they were hunted for their fur a lot), but apparently Michigan was teeming with them when it was "discovered" by the French about 300 years ago
@Calvero: I saw that list before and forgot about it, otherwise I probably would have posted that link.
@whoever: thanks for the title change
@WolverineDK:
thanks
I wouldn't have asked, but Google doesn't have Danish yet and I've never heard of an on-line utility to translate it, and I don't know any other Danes
at least none as great as you... you're a great dane 😉... I'm sorry, but how many times am I going to get to make that joke in my life?

How to become a hacker