Game Database Ideas

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 43, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Great Hierophant wrote:
MobyGames is indeed klunky, but it is the best we have right now. All important games are respresented there. However, a strip […]
Show full quote

MobyGames is indeed klunky, but it is the best we have right now. All important games are respresented there. However, a stripped-down technical database would be very useful, including the following information:

Name
Release Date
Developer
Publisher
Format (# disks/CDs, disk type)
System Requirements/Recommendations (official)
Platform (Booter/DOS/Win 3.1/Win 9x/Win XP)
Patches
Notes

I shudder to think of trying to catalog all the regional variants and republished rereleases (a lot of stuff came on 5.25" and 3.5" floppies for a while) that might exist for any particular game, especially since so many of them are probably now only available in very limited quantities. Especially since in the end, if they all play the same, then no one in particular will actually care all that much!

Reply 42 of 43, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wouldn't have it specify 5.25", 3.5", CD, CD-XA, Flash, Java, DOS ver. 3, DOS ver. 4, etc. I would probably list republishings (and every version) in the same entry as the original and just list all the formats, and maybe multiple dates.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 43 of 43, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's been a while but I haven't forgotten... OK, I forgot, but then I remembered.
I really would like to do this, but...
Between eating, sleeping, graduating, other computer-related things, and actually playing games, I just don't have the time. At some point I'll have the time and I might decide to try, but for now I encourage someone else to take a whack at it.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions