VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by GreasyDogMeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just beat Pool of Radiance, and my plans have been to play the entire Pool of Radiance series, including Hillsfar.

Hillsfar, while not technically a part of the Radiance series (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades & Pools of Darkness), takes place in a halfway point between Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds, allowing you to improve your characters a bit, then let them continue on to Curse of the Azure Bonds. Anyway...

My problem is that when I use Hillsfar's copyhill.exe file to transfer saved characters over to Hillsfar it gives me this error:

Couldn't copy characters from C:\POOLRAD\ to C:\HILLSFAR\.
Please check your source and destination.

The thing is, the files reside in those exact paths. Curse of the Azure Bonds, which has the same transfer program also gives me that error. If I manually take the save files that end with .ITM, .SAV and .SPC and manually drag them from C:\POOLRAD to C:\CURSE\SAVE the characters properly show up when starting Curse of the Azure Bonds. Unfortunatly, Hillsfar uses a completly different save file system, with character files using .HIL extensions.

I have no idea if Hillsfar is supposed to convert one of the Radiance or Curse save files into a .HIL file or what. I've tried manually dragging the .ITM, .SAV and .SPC files over to Hillsfar, or creating a C:\HILLSFAR\SAVE folder, but Hillsfar refuses to recognize any of the files. I even tried to be clever and renaming the extensions of the Pool character files to .HIL but that didn't quite work. 😢

In the end, playing Hillsfar with my Pool characters really isn't that important and if no one can help I'll just make new characters, but I would prefer to take my Pool characters through Hillsfar. Any clues about how to solve this conundrum would be much appreciated.

Reply 1 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Nice rant, but very little technical information.

What OS?
Running natively?
Running in an emulator?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 11, by GreasyDogMeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:
Nice rant, but very little technical information. […]
Show full quote

Nice rant, but very little technical information.

What OS?
Running natively?
Running in an emulator?

Windows XP Home Edition
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor
1 Gig Ram
2 256 Nvidia Geforce 7800s running in SLI mode.
Fatal1ty ANL8SLI Motherboard

Tried running with DOSBox .70 and VDMS 2.0.1 and got the same error.

The game itself runs fine in DOSBox or with VDMS, its just that I can't transfer characters.

Reply 3 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And in which environment do you prefer to get this to work? In WinXP or in DOSBox?

Reply 4 of 11, by GreasyDogMeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

And in which environment do you prefer to get this to work? In WinXP or in DOSBox?

I deffinitly prefer running with DOSBox. Runs things smoother and with less issues.

Reply 5 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Be sure you installed both games within dosbox, so the directories
relative to the mounting are what the game/save game transfer thing
expects them to be.

Anybody else know if that process of save game conversion is actually possible?

Reply 6 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
GreasyDogMeat wrote:

I deffinitly prefer running with DOSBox. Runs things smoother and with less issues.

Moved to DOSBox Games/Apps

Reply 7 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

So - how do you mount your DOSBox drives?

Reply 8 of 11, by GreasyDogMeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

So - how do you mount your DOSBox drives?

Either by dragging the exe file on to the dosbox.exe, or by starting DOSBox and typing 'Mount C C:\HILLSFAR'.

I'm, uh, not the most familiar with DOS, as the above statement may indicate, though I've read some help files on DOS/DOSBox and the 'drag the exe file onto DOSBox' method I use is extremly simple, fast and hasn't given me any issues.

I've played the entire Pool of Radiance game using the above methods and all the save files and character files have worked flawlessly... except of course for the copy.exe process.

Reply 9 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

When you drag the EXE onto DOSBox, the EXE's folder becomes the C-drive in DOSBox. So if you drag C:\HILLSFAR\copyhill.exe onto DOSBox, DOSBox will make its C-drive = C:\HILLSFAR, and when poor copyhill.exe valiantly tries to find C:\POOLRAD and C:\HILLSFAR it is in reality looking for C:\HILLSFAR\POOLRAD and C:\HILLSFAR\HILLSFAR on your real hard-disk.

Try to put it down on a piece of paper in a 3-column table:

In left-most column put down your DOSBox mountings (either manual mounts using the mount command, or automatic mounts created by dragging EXE's).

In the middle column, write down the paths the EXE's are looking for.

And in the 3rd column, combine column 1 + 2 into where the files should be on your real harddisk.

DOSBox mounting   Inside DOSBox   On my harddisk
----------------- --------------- -------------------
C: = C:\HILLSFAR C:\POOLRAD C:\HILLSFAR\POOLRAD

Reply 10 of 11, by GreasyDogMeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the help. I spent a while placing POOLRAD & HILLSFAR in another folder, so it was GAMES\POOLRAD & GAMES\HILLSFAR, then mounting the games folder but that didn't seem to help.

I was about to give up and just make new characters for Hillsfar when I dicided to simply double click on Copyhill.exe without running in VDMS or DOSBox, and voilla... it worked. I have no idea why the transfers worked this way and refuse to work in any other way.

I slapped my head wondering why I didn't try this out in the first place! Either way, thank you for your patience and help Mini and wd.

Reply 11 of 11, by GreasyDogMeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I've found the real reason why I've been having so much trouble transfering characters from game to game using the .exe transfers.

To transfer a character file from Pool of Radiance to Hillsfar or Curse of the Azure Bonds you need a 'charname.CHA' file. However, Pool of Radiance does not create files that end with .CHA UNLESS you remove the character from the party in one of the training rooms.

Once you complete the game and are ready to transfer from Pool of Radiance then you should go to the training hall, enter one of the 4 training rooms for fighters, thieves etc and then select the option 'Remove Character From Party' for all characters you intend to transfer.

You may then successfully use the 'copycurse.exe' or 'copyhill.exe' files to transfer characters, or simply drag and drop the 'charname.CHA' file over to Hillsfar or Curse of the Azure Bonds. With Hillsfar you would place the .CHA file inside the main 'c:\hillsfar' folder and with Curse of the Azure Bonds you would place it in the 'c:\curse\save' folder.

I really wish the manual had been more specific about actually having to remove characters from a party to make a successful transfer, because I was thinking it was some sort of techical DOSBox issue or something.