VOGONS

Common searches

Running Star Trail with Windows XP

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Prime-G1 I managed to get Star Trail to run under windows XP with a dos shortcut and by adding a few lines to the auroexec.nt file I am even able to get the midi and sound effects to work with my SB audigy, although the midi is quirky and don't sound right sometimes.

?? Are you running this VDMSound or just natively in XP? If you're running with VDMSound, don't mess with the AUTOEXEC.NT and CONFIG.NT as the GUI Launchpad allows you to make custom settings for each game without affecting your system's settings.

The main problem I have now is in getting the mouse to work. It seems to be bieng seen by the program and works somewhat but not really. The pointer flickers and either moves all the way across the screen or not at all. I am using a MS emplorer optical on my USB.

Yes. StarTrail "Hates NT". Fortunately, Mok came up with a modified executable which seems to fix the mouse problem.

Does anyone know of a fix for either the midi...

Well, I'm not sure what MIDI problem you're really having, "quirky and don't sound right" doesn't tell me much.

If you're saying the tempo keeps changing, that sounds like you're describing the FM/AdLib music. Apparently, it keeps trying to use OPL3 for FM, which is causing the problem.

If you are using VDMSound, choose "General MIDI" (within the game's setup program), then change the VDMSound settings in the VLP file created for the game by VDMSound's Launchpad.

Right-click the VLP file and choose Properties, click the Advanced button, click on the MIDI tab, the go to the Device (Dev:) to Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth (MIDI). Clock OK, then click OK again.

The MIDI mapper output is adequate, but the GS Wavetable is much better.

I assume the lines I added to the autoexec.nt file are well knows, but if not please tell me and I will gladly post them.

You should probably put them back to the way they were before.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-09-23, 04:10. Edited 1 time in total.