VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mercury_Storm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been attempting to get VGA graphics to work for System Shock on my computer with little success.

I have found that I can get the disk version of the game (without any patches or workarounds) to simply display the Origin Logo at the start of the program, and from that point on I have no control over the program and I must manually shut it down. The same thing happens with the CD version, except no graphics are displayed, just a blank screen.

I've run the VGAUTILS: VGRID.EXE, VGRID-M.EXE, VBOX.EXE, VGACOLOR.EXE and UNIVBE 6.7 with very similar problems (The main image shows up but I have no control over the programs, with UNIVBE 6.7 I cannot press 0 to initiate the graphics tests).

It might make sense, then , that all the workarounds I have attempted (I've searched through and tried all methods on this site) have had no effect on getting System Shock to run.

I run my system on Windows XP Pro, and here are my specs:

Radeon 9700 (Latest Catalyst Drivers)
2.66Ghz Pentium 4
1gig of RAM
Gigabytpe, GA-8SG800 Motherboard

If anyone can help here, I will very much appreciate it!

Reply 2 of 13, by Mercury_Storm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, but I have done this with the exact same result: A blank screen that is frozen.

I have used moks XP patch, noflb, cdms sound, and all those other work around, and nothing seems to produce anything other than the initial Origin Logo for sshock.exe, or a blank screen for cdshock.exe (moks patched version.)

*Adding this: When I run VBEtest is when I can't push 0 to begin the test, the cursor is blinking on the screen, but when I press the key to begin, nothing happens.

Last edited by Mercury_Storm on 2003-07-04, 20:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Mercury_Storm ...UNIVBE 6.7 with very similar problems (The main image shows up but I have no control over the programs, with UNIVBE 6.7 I cannot press 0 to initiate the graphics tests).

I presume you're referring to VBETEST, and that you can't even get to the "bits per pixel" test listings? If so, you've got a real problem.

By chance, do you have anything running on your PC that allows "direct hardware access"? Do you have any files named GIVEIO.SYS or WINIO.SYS anywhere on your PC?
(you have to tell Search to look into your System folders)

Also, you might have to check if any files (other than VIDEOPRT.SYS) contain the text "Ke386" inside.

(Search for *.* on your System/Boot drive)

Reply 4 of 13, by Mercury_Storm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah! I found a "winio.sys" in my "C:\Windows" folder.

But I didn't find any files with Ke383 in them.

Also....

I presume you're referring to VBETEST, and that you can't even get to the "bits per pixel" test listings?

Kinda: When I run the VBETEST program, it opens the window and puts the screen into fullscreen mode with it. Then, it shows all the descriptive text with "Choice:_" (The cursor is blinking) at the bottom, but when I try and press 0 to start the test, nothing happens, and I have to manually shut the program down.

Last edited by Mercury_Storm on 2003-07-06, 05:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Mercury_Storm Yeah! I found a "winio.sys" in my "C:\Windows" folder.

You caught him. Book him, Dano!

But I didn't find any files with Ke383 in them.

Like Snover said, that would be Ke386, but odds are WINIO is the sole culprit.

Kinda: When I run the VBETEST program, it opens the window and puts the screen into fullscreen mode with it. Then, it shows all the descriptive text with "Choice:_" (The cursor is blinking) at the bottom, but when I try and press 0 to start the test, nothing happens, and I have to manually shut the program down.

So is it locking up here:
[0] - Interactive Tests
[1] - VBE/PM Power Management Tests
[Q] - Quit

or here?:
Select color mode to test:

[0] - 4 bits per pixel modes
[1] - 8 bits per pixel modes
[2] - 15 bits per pixel modes
[6] - Text modes
[Q] - Quit

BTW, after you disable WINIO.SYS, try this again.

If you can get the non-LFB tests to run, try running "System Shock" again, but without audio and run it at low-res (320x200). Confirm it's working properly before trying sound and VESA.

Reply 7 of 13, by Mercury_Storm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It runs now!

What is Winio.sys though? I'm not even sure what I might have installed that put it on here, it might have come with my video card or something.

VBETEST no longer locks up either.

Now I am wondering though, is there any way to emulate very high quality midi? When I originally played this game on my old 386 I had a Sound Blaster AWE32 and the midi sounded REALLY good.

These days midi quality seems to have gone down, even with the newer cards. Is there any way to get System shock to use really good quality Midi again?

Last edited by Mercury_Storm on 2003-07-06, 22:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is Winio.sys though? I'm not even sure what I might have installed that put it on here, it might have come with my video card or something.

Well, Windows NT/2K/XP is designed so that programs can't (for the most part) get direct access to the hardware (video card, serial/parallel ports, etc.) for security and stability reasons. Drivers like Winio.sys ask the OS for access for access to some of those parts of the hardware so that certain programs (like motherboard monitors) can access the hardware without going through the OS. This often has the nasty side-effect of denying access to other drivers and programs, or something, so that things get unstable or just won't work. Usually they're used by lazy programmers who are trying to get a Win9x program to work under WinNT without going through proper channels to get access to the hardware.

Now I am wondering though, is there any way to emulate very high quality midi? When I originally played this game on my old 386 I had a Sound Blaster AWE32 and the midi sounded REALLY good.

These days midi quality seems to have gone down, even with the newer cards. Is there any way to get System shock to use really good quality Midi again?

I've always been skeptical about claims like these. From what I gather, the AWE32 uses soundfonts just like newer Creative cards (although the AWE32 also has a ROM chip with some instrument sounds on it). I don't know what kind of sound card you are using though, so I can't recommend anything to try.

Reply 9 of 13, by Mercury_Storm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh yeah, I'm using a Sound Blaster Live, X-Gamer 5.2 card.

I am positive the MIDI sounded better on my old system, because when I listen to the MP3 files of the System Shock midi off the http://www.ttlg.com website, they sound exactly like the way my old computer did, which is significantly different, and better than what it sounds like now with my current sound setup.

Reply 10 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In that case, have you tried using anything other than the default soundfont included with your SBLive? I'd recommend trying AnotherGS, GeneralUser, and Unison.

Reply 11 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For cryin' out loud, just configure it to use MIDI (in-game) and choose the GS-Wavetable (on the MIDI tab of the VLP shortcut).

It's easy and provides quality audio. Too much analysis on this...

Reply 13 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ *pukes on Nicht's shoes*

You audiophiles are so hyper-sensitive.
*sends cleaning bill and dietary guide to HunterZ"

Go play your Amiga.

Hey, that's a great idea.

*gives "thumbs up" sign*
*plays with Amiga*