VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I currently have an AGP Radeon 9250 and I think it's VESA 2.0 compliant. However, UNIVBE tells me it cannot locate a SVGA chip.

Duke3D runs fine in 800x600 VESA mode, but Shadow Warrior displays garbled messy graphics on its VESA mode setting. (I believe ShadowW requires VESA 2.0, perhaps Duke3d only needs version 1.0, and my Radeon 9250 is having problems with VESA 2.0?)

I'm thinking of changing the Radeon for something else which has maybe better VESA support. Would nVidia 5200 be a wise choice? (Any other suggestions very welcome.)

Current rig = Radeon 9250 (AGP), 2 x Voodoo2 SLI (PCI).

Thanks a lot for any thoughs, best regards, Robert.

Reply 1 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why are you running the DOS version of Shadow Warrior?

Use this:
http://jonof.id.au/?p=jfsw

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 19, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a 3dfx port too of this game, forgot where to find it though

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 5 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your running DOS games in an NT based OS to test VESA compatibility then your wrong.

If your testing the game in a 9x command prompt then your a bit better off but you should really be testing the game in real DOS.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Radeon cards have VESA issues. I've had TIE Fighter CD (640x480 VESA) actually lock up on them. Get some sort of NVIDIA card. GeForceFX is great for retro rigs because its VESA works well and its 3D capabilities include palletized texture support.

Reply 8 of 19, by retro games

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. I currently have two voodoo2 SLI'd. If I get a GeForceFX, will it be OK? Can these two different types of card live in harmony inside the same box?! Will they kind of "interfere" with each other in any way?

Thanks a lot, Regards, Robert.

Reply 9 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup they will work together fine. The only issue is getting games to pick the desired accelerator for D3D. For that, you want 3DCC. I've attached it. It's only for Win9x tho. Not sure what you'd do in XP or 2K.

Attachments

• Filename
    3dcc.zip
    File size
    41.6 KiB
    Downloads
    348 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 19, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:

There's a 3dfx port too of this game, forgot where to find it though

You mean the 3dfx patch?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 12 of 19, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently was playing with Shadow Warrior on my voodoo2. The 3dfx patch is more of a decelerator than anything else. I seem to remember this being the case back when the game and patch were new as well. Anyone remember differently?

Reply 13 of 19, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote:

I recently was playing with Shadow Warrior on my voodoo2. The 3dfx patch is more of a decelerator than anything else. I seem to remember this being the case back when the game and patch were new as well. Anyone remember differently?

"Descelerator"? doesn't play any slower in my machine than then plan version..it just looks purtier 😁

Reply 15 of 19, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote:

weird, how fast is your machine?

Pentium Pro 180mhz, 128mb Ram

S3 Virge GX + 2x Voodoo 2 in SLi

Reply 16 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I managed to get a Voodoo3 and GeForce FX to work in the same system last night. Now THAT is a sweet setup, IMO. Voodoo3 blows away Voodoo2 for both speed and image quality (that 22-bit Voodoo3 output + higher res) for Glide games, while the GeForce FX is very good for everything else.

All it takes is setting the BIOS to use either PCI or AGP as the primary graphics card. I have a PCI Voodoo3 and the AGP GeForce. I imagine you could use a PCI Voodoo5 quite well too, or a PCI GeForce and a AGP Voodoo. Whatever.

Reply 17 of 19, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im just running a P90 with one Voodoo2 card. While other games all benefit from the 3d card, SW actually gets slower with acceleration on.

Reply 18 of 19, by retro games

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I managed to get a Voodoo3 and GeForce FX to work in the same system last night. Now THAT is a sweet setup, IMO. Voodoo3 blows away Voodoo2 for both speed and image quality (that 22-bit Voodoo3 output + higher res) for Glide games, while the GeForce FX is very good for everything else.

All it takes is setting the BIOS to use either PCI or AGP as the primary graphics card. I have a PCI Voodoo3 and the AGP GeForce. I imagine you could use a PCI Voodoo5 quite well too, or a PCI GeForce and a AGP Voodoo. Whatever.

Cool.
Do Voodoo3 cards run all glide games OK? (I think there are problems with Voodoo2 cards running some very early glide stuff.)
What GeForce FX card have you got?

Reply 19 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They will run almost everything. You can run into problems with older Glide games that don't know what a Voodoo3 is, but there are frequently workarounds for this. I just can't stand Voodoo1/2's pass-through setup. It just ruins the output quality. My Righteous 3D Voodoo1 is particularly degrading, causing bad artifacting on the Windows desktop.

I have a GFFX 5950 Ultra. 😀 It's the fastest AGP 2x card aside from Radeon 9800. I also have a GFFX 5600 that was given to me by a friend. They are all very cheap on ebay these days.