VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I just picked up a copy of Curse of Enchantia and it refuses to run under DOS6.22. Let me give you my relevant system specs first:

Pentium 90 on an Intel (Zappa) Motherboard
80MB Ram
Mach64 PCI (Can't remember how much ram but I imagine its at least 2+ MB)
Diamond Monster Voodoo2 8MB
8GB IBM SCSI HD X2
MPU-IPC-T ISA for use with Roland MT32 and Roland SC55-MKII

So when I try to run the program after running the setup using EMM386 my computer just reboots before even a title screen appears, if I use QEMM I get a message about hardware being addressed illegally at the same point. This crash occurs even if I tell it I have no sound card so it doesn't seem to be a sound issue.

I can get the game to run in Win98 but there is no sound so this is not a solution.

All I can really guess is that maybe my video board has too much ram? I remember some games back in the day use to crash if the video boards had a lot of ram (at least for that time), such as the game Air Warrior.

Does anyone have any info on this or own Enchantia that can try it with their set ups and let me know the results?

Awesome thanks in advance guys.

Reply 2 of 2, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have not tried that yet, although I have never encountered any conflict errors or warnings across Dos - Win95 - Win98, as of course running many other games as well.

I have all my cards set to their defaults, with the exception of the I/O address on the SB16 that I moved so the MPU-IPC-T could have 330. Am I thinking of the right setting for that?

Thinking about this though I realize that the setup for curse of enchantia doesn't ask for the card settings only for the audio card types, so maybe its assuming IRQ7 or something? Wouldn't that still cause a crash under Win98 if that were the case though? I suppose not necessarily...Although when set to run without any sound at all the game still crashes...

Great it appears it also runs under Vista but with no music and each sound will only play once per session...So any non native OS, ok, Native Dos Environment no go...(note the Vista test was done on a different machine).