VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As per subject line, these rig components produce flickering graphics at the bottom of the screen where the HUD and ammo icons are. Swapping out the cable for a 15-pin D-Sub cable removed these graphical glitches. I have not tested this scenario with a single link DVI cable as I don't own one. (Please note that other DOS games run fine using the dual link DVI cable.)

In my ignorance, when purchasing a DVI cable, I opted for the dual link not really knowing what I needed the "dual part" for. Perhaps for my needs a single link cable would have been better as I do not require a resolution higher than 1280x1024.

Best regards, Robert.

Reply 2 of 3, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know that DX8-generation Radeons have some DVI issues. They were ATI's first (or at least some of the earliest) boards with DVI. If you do some searching you will quickly find talk of DVI issues with Radeon 7500, 8500. Still, 9200 is a refined 9000, which itself was a refined 8500. You'd think they'd have figured it out by then.

My first choice would be to blame the Radeon. Try analog output instead. If it's still flickering, I'd blame Radeon's DOS support which is not very good really.

Reply 3 of 3, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dual-link provides increased bandwidth by doubling the number of data-pins. At the sort of resolution you're likely to be running a DOS application at, in all likelihood are those pins aren't even being utilised. So, I wouldn't bother trying to find a single-link cable.

Yes, it’s my fault.