VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Snake785

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey. Every single DOS game I've tried on my Windows XP machine runs at full speed (even with VDMSound enabled) except for Offroad (with and without VDMSound). This game is quite old and I'd expect it to run at a decent speed but it doesnt. Others like Indy Car Racing and Descent which were made later than Offroad run great. Any idea why Offroad is the only game that runs slow? And are there some solutions to speed it up? Thanks in advance

[edit] opps I forgot to post my specs, well here they are, if it is of any use...

Celeron 700Mhz
256MB RAM
GF2 MX 32MB
Windows XP SP1

Using VDMSound 2.0.4 Update 2 (which is amazing 😁)

Last edited by Snake785 on 2003-07-07, 16:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snake785 Hey. Every single DOS game I've tried on my Windows XP machine runs at full speed (even with VDMSound enabled) except for Offroad (with and without VDMSound). This game is quite old and I'd expect it to run at a decent speed but it doesnt.

Welcome to "Hates NT" syndrome. Just because it's old doesn't mean it will be speedy. Enter "slow" or "sluggish" into the QuickSearch box near the top of the page, you'll find plenty of posts dealing with "slow" games

Any idea why Offroad is the only game that runs slow?

Not really. Games from that era (especially those from Europe) had code that frequently "broke the rules" to increase performance.

And are there some solutions to speed it up?

Hrmm. Kills DosBox, even though I don't think it used "Protected Mode".

You might have to try emulating another systems' version (which would actually be a step up, considering the PC version was AdLib only for audio). There were Amiga and console versions, that I know of...

Reply 2 of 2, by Snake785

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also tried DOSbox but it didn't work, the display came up with a whole load of error messages. I even tried using speedset to maybe speed it up but that didn't work either..maybe I didn't use speedset properly?

I know of a number of different versions, I even play the arcade version using MAME, I also play the SNES version. But the PC version was the first version of Offroad that I played and if I play that version again with the AdLib audio, it really brings back some good memories...It's a shame that of all the games i have, Offroad has to be one that doesn't work properly...Stunts run at full speed, and sounds pretty nice too with VDMSound and that game is from the same era...oh well..Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.