VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ffhighwind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Most of this stuff I really haven't been asked before, so I'm doing my best...
1. Motherboard:
ABIT TH-1.00M
2. Processor type and speed:
Intel P4 2.0 Ghz
3. Amount and type of RAM:
512MB DDR
4. Video board w/ RAM amount and type:
Geforce FX 5200, 128MB DDR
5. Sound board:
Wow, I did a good job of forgetting... whatever came with my SB Live! 5.1? I got Altec Lansing ADA890 for speakers tho.
6. Operating system:
Win XP (home or prof I forgot, almost sure it's prof)
7. Game name:
XWing-CD (old dos vers, purple and says "Collector's CD-Rom" in blue)
8. Description of problem:
Used to be an EMS problem (memory) since I have extended which isn't what the game wants. Now that I use VDMS I get the game asking for the CD. I have it in the drive but it doesn't detect it.
9. Reproducibility of problem:
Always after I load the game with VDMS. The dos window auto closes when I don't use VDMS.
10. Sound mode used:
Music: Adblid (holy cow is the sound on slow-mo? I loaded the setup for music "setmuse" with launchpad (the musical note) and the music is on half speed.
Sound: Soundblaster 16, Port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Stereo Reverse 0 (I had to autodetect this and it sounds great)
11. Video mode:
I don't think the game requires any video mode and I didn't mess with much. I don't know if VDMS automatically runs directX.

I downloaded the launcher and have VDMS v2.0.4, both work fine.

Reply 1 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by ffhighwind Most of this stuff I really haven't been asked before, so I'm doing my best...

AIDA32 will gather this data for you quite effectively.

8. Description of problem:
Used to be an EMS problem (memory) since I have extended which isn't what the game wants.

XP doesn't provide EMS to programs unless you specify it
(Properties-->Memory).

Now that I use VDMS I get the game asking for the CD. I have it in the drive but it doesn't detect it.

Try enabling "Low-level CD-ROM support (MSCDEX)" from the VLP shortcut created when you ran the game.

10. Sound mode used:
Music: Adblid (holy cow is the sound on slow-mo? I loaded the setup for music "setmuse" with launchpad (the musical note) and the music is on half speed.
Sound: Soundblaster 16, Port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Stereo Reverse 0 (I had to autodetect this and it sounds great)

Odds are it's trying to use OPL3 for music, and that's not available yet. If you choose an early model of "SoundBlaster Pro" or just a basic "SoundBlaster", that should force it to use OPL2 for music. If the game supports separate devices (1 for sound effects, 1 for music), keep the SB16 for sound effects.

If it has MIDI support, I recommend using that with Microsoft's GS wavetable.

11. Video mode:
I don't think the game requires any video mode and I didn't mess with much.

*heh* Any game that has any kind of display uses a video mode. In this case, if it's the 1994 release, that would be : VGA.

Reply 2 of 9, by ffhighwind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm wondering if what AIDA thinks it knows is accurate... In the Optional Profile area when you sign up, I filled out the same general idea. The problem is that I didn't know a third of the stuff it asked for.

Without VDMS I couldn't change the memory that I know of through properties---->memory. I'd need to have a specified file to do that to before I'd have any idea what you're talking about...

I tried enabling low-level cd support and it did nothing. I know what you're talking about, use the music VDMS shortcut on the .exe and customize instead of use default. From customization check that box, as I said did nothing. So, my problem is still unresolved, ugh.

XWING is limited to having no SB music drivers to choose from. Only Soundscape, Adlib, Midi something, no sound, and a couple others and this was my best choice. I can't customize the DMA, Port, IRQ on the music area.

The game was either copyrighted on 1992 or 1994, the fine print is confusing me. You learn something new every day, I didn't really understand VGA, AGI, and I still don't understand really what video drivers do. Probably just help with the information transfer/translation from the game to the computer.

I could still use some help with my problem if anybody knows why it can't detect my cd... The installation worked fine, windows can see my cd contents no problem. No hardcore lag and loud spinning noises (or is that just the fan? 😜) from the cd-rom drive.

Reply 3 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by ffhighwind I'm wondering if what AIDA thinks it knows is accurate...

It's pretty accurate. I saw it Identify a "SoundBlaster 16", but it identified it as a "Vibra 16 PnP" model, whereas the model number said it was a plain "SB16 PnP". Pretty close, either way.

In the Optional Profile area when you sign up, I filled out the same general idea. The problem is that I didn't know a third of the stuff it asked for.

Well that what you use Aida32 for... For example: My soundcard. I go to MultiMedia, click on "PCI/PnP Audio", right-click on the Device description, choose "copy", then I paste it here:
Philips PSC706 Acoustic Edge 5.1 Audio Accelerator PCI.

Without VDMS I couldn't change the memory that I know of through properties---->memory.

You can change memory settings for DOS programs by right-clicking on the DOS executable (.EXE or .COM), choosing Properties, click the Memory tab, then changing the setting in the Expanded (EMS) Memory box. It defaults to "None". Make the changes, then click OK.

I'd need to have a specified file to do that to before I'd have any idea what you're talking about...

Whatever file that you use to start the game. If it's a .BAT file you need to apply the memory settings to whatever .COM or .EXE files inside the .BAT file. For right now, it's just easier to use VDMSound as it applies the EMS settings to whatever you are running.

I tried enabling low-level cd support and it did nothing. I know what you're talking about, use the music VDMS shortcut on the .exe and customize instead of use default. From customization check that box,

Actually, I was referring to the .VLP file that was created the first time you run an executable rather than re-creating it again with the GUI "Wizard". The effect is the same, it's just fewer steps to modify the existing .VLP file.

..as I said did nothing. So, my problem is still unresolved, ugh.

Well, it might not have fixed your problem, but it did do something. It applied NT's MSCDEX, which should give it "low-level" CD support. If it's still not working, then there may be something non-VDMSound-related at work.

XWING is limited to having no SB music drivers to choose from. Only Soundscape, Adlib, Midi something, no sound, and a couple others and this was my best choice. I can't customize the DMA, Port, IRQ on the music area.

I sometimes wonder if certain programmers made these setup programs deliberately difficult. Basically, AdLib music is SoundBlaster music, but most setup programs usually give them separate entries. It's presuming settings for AdLib, which is usually safe, but I'm surprised they give you no options for MIDI. I'm guessing that they're presuming an IRQ of 2 and an address of 330 for MIDI.

The game was either copyrighted on 1992 or 1994, the fine print is confusing me.

Understandable. There were multiple versions. If yours is the "X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM", it's the 1994 model.

You learn something new every day, I didn't really understand VGA, AGI, and I still don't understand really what video drivers do. Probably just help with the information transfer/translation from the game to the computer.

Well, you don't really have to learn what all the specifications mean, but it helps us to troubleshoot problems. The info is usually on a card that comes with the game, or on a README text file in the game's disk/CD-ROM (usually under "System Requirements). Sometimes we can look it up at a place like Mobygames or individual research, but you can save us some legwork by filling us in with what info you have.

A good example of why the info is needed would be if a game required a SVGA display and that wasn't known. We would waste a lot of time as SVGA games often require special attention to run within XP (or any other NT OS). Odds are the game would just die instantly without any error displays.

I could still use some help with my problem if anybody knows why it can't detect my cd...The installation worked fine, windows can see my cd contents no problem.

The game requires the use of a DOS-level CD-ROM driver. It won't use Windows'.

Hard to tell at this point. Do you have only the 1 CD-ROM drive? Do you have any removable drives whose letter is before your main CD-ROM (like Removable USB Drives, digital camera memory sticks, etc...)?

BTW, Since you place your hardware info in your profile, you don't need to place it in your post as we can easily access that. So you can save yourself some typing and just concentrate on the game data.

Reply 4 of 9, by ffhighwind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

heh, all I did was copy paste and fix some of it... but I know it'll save you time and it'll be less of a pain so I guess I can stop 😜.

I only have 1 CD-rom it's a rewritable burner as you can tell by the 3 numbers. I have a zip drive, and what's that drive (smaller hard plastic disks that hold I think 1.5mb, floppy?), 2 USB ports in use. One of the USB ports is a chordless LAN adapter (so I don't have to drag a chord from this room and the hallway to the router), and a sidewinder joystick.

The drives I have listed in my "My Computer" are:
A: (floppy?)
C: (master hard drive? My comp is booted off of Win XP OS on this drive)
THEN D: (my cd drive)
E: (slave hard drive?)
F: (zip)

I'm guessing you're saying my cd drive is conflicting with my A drive? No more than likely you're thinking I had a second CD-rom and I put it in the wrong one. Nope... that's not the problem here.

Last edited by ffhighwind on 2003-07-10, 14:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 9, by ffhighwind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I fixed up my computer profile with AIDA32. Now I have none of the information missing, but the program didn't show me my western digital hard drive's RPM speed so I had to go to the link in AIDA32 to find the information I needed.

I found the RPM under Storage--->ATA for my other hard drive.

I had to search their site for "WD1000JB" and found at the top of the list a 100GB hard drive with the same product number.

All in all, this is a pretty good program 😀

Reply 6 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by ffhighwind The drives I have listed in my "My Computer" are: A: (floppy?) C: (master hard drive? My comp is […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by ffhighwind The drives I have listed in my "My Computer" are:
A: (floppy?)
C: (master hard drive? My comp is booted off of Win XP OS on this drive)
THEN D: (my cd drive)
E: (slave hard drive?)
F: (zip)

Looks fairly straight-forward. There might be some programs confused by the Zip drive. Those would be some of the early titles that were written with the presumption that there would be only one removable drive (CD-ROM) on your PC.

I'm guessing you're saying my cd drive is conflicting with my A drive?

No. Floppy drives, while technically "removable", are treated differently.

No more than likely you're thinking I had a second CD-rom and I put it in the wrong one.

No, it's more like the confusion that some old DOS programs have from multiple removable drives.

Different programs need different solutions. For example, "Age of Rifles" will disable ALL audio if it sees more than one CD-ROM drive. Only solution I found was to temporarily disable all but one CD drive. Others may require that a disk be present in all drives. Strange, but true.

Originally posted by ffhighwind I fixed up my computer profile with AIDA32.

Looks good.

...but the program didn't show me my western digital hard drive's RPM speed so I had to go to the link in AIDA32 to find the information I needed.

I imagine that's because the BIOS and OS of most computers don't take RPM into consideration (yet).

All in all, this is a pretty good program

Indeed. Just make sure you don't go spreading your "Product ID/Key" as others might use it, which could cause you grief next time an update or an activation screen comes around.

BTW, you might try removing your Zip Drive temporarily on the off-chance that it's causing the problem. If it still can't see the CD drive, placing SAPUCDEX in your System32 directory, then edit your game's VLP shortcut as follows:

Disable "low-level CD-ROM support (so it doesn't try to use MSCDEX)
Click "Advanced", click on the DOS Environment" tab, type SAPUCDEX into the big box under AUTOEXEC.BAT. Click OK, then OK again.

If that still doesn't work, I'm stuck as I don't have the game and I don't recall others having a CD-detection problem.

Reply 7 of 9, by ffhighwind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll try those 2 ideas in the order you told me to. I'm going on vacation tomorrow and won't be bringing my computer. I'll be gone for 2 weeks so don't expect any replies from me for a while.

Reply 8 of 9, by ffhighwind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IT WORKS 😀 BOTH GAMES WORKING THE DAY B4 I LEAVE! My soundblasters just broke last night I think so I haven't been getting any noise out of them. From what I read of the SAPUCDEX is that audio sound doesn't get played, but my CD rom massively sped up after I loaded the game. I'm thinking the game is working fine and the audio might even play correctly. It'd really suck if I couldn't get any soundfx out of the game... I'm not sure if it would be worth playing. Anyway, if I have that problem I'll try and just remove my zip drive and if that doesn't work I might just post a new thread (Since I'll be gone for 2 weeks these posts will likely be ignored from that point on).

Thanks again Nicht Sehr Gut! This has been a great lesson and you've been a hell of a lot of help. Congrats on your great ability of tech servicing, it's a damned underrated skill.

Reply 9 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by ffhighwind IT WORKS 😀 BOTH GAMES WORKING THE DAY B4 I LEAVE! My soundblasters just broke last night I think so I haven't been getting any noise out of them.

? That's something of a paradox there. So you're saying that the game works with the CD now, but there's no audio...at all?

From what I read of the SAPUCDEX is that audio sound doesn't get played,

*confused*
So you're saying you saw a message that CD-audio wasn't working?

Anyway, if I have that problem I'll try and just remove my zip drive

Removing the Zip drive was only for those games confused by multiple CD-ROM drives. Not sure if that's the case here...

...and if that doesn't work I might just post a new thread (Since I'll be gone for 2 weeks these posts will likely be ignored from that point on).

Actually it would be easier if you just typed XWING-CD into "Quick Search" and posted a reply to this thread. That would keep the original problem and the final solution (hopefully) all in the same thread.

Congrats on your great ability of tech servicing, it's a damned underrated skill.

Now if only I could get someone to hire me without demanding a degree "up-front".