VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I understand there were a couple of revisions Roland did for the SCC-1 card, some have 317 sounds, others have 354 sounds. One was called SCC-1B. The first early version didn't have the extra emulated MT-32 sounds. Will it be OK for DOS games if I got the first version, which has 317 sounds? (And then get an external MT-32 and connect it to the card with a midi cable)

Thanks, regards, Robert.

Reply 2 of 3, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And you get a nice MPU card to connect to an MT32/CM32 etc etc 😉

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 3 of 3, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games wrote:

I understand there were a couple of revisions Roland did for the SCC-1 card, some have 317 sounds, others have 354 sounds. One was called SCC-1B. The first early version didn't have the extra emulated MT-32 sounds. Will it be OK for DOS games if I got the first version, which has 317 sounds? (And then get an external MT-32 and connect it to the card with a midi cable)

Thanks, regards, Robert.

Your information is incorrect. All SCC-1 cards have the MT-32 sounds. The extra sounds are GS specific patches. The card labeled SCC-1A has the extra 37 sounds and should be truly GM compatible. The original SCC-1 is technically not GM compatible, but as GS is a fully-backwards compatible superset of GM, it makes no difference to GM music.

However, there is no substitute for a true MT-32 card for DOS gamers unless you are only using games that do not load custom instrument sounds. That SCC-1 contains a 100% compatible MPU-401 interface, so if you connect an MT-32 to anything, connect it to the SCC-1 card.