VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Everytime SCC-1 or even MT-32 appears on ebay, I can't afford it.
But I managed to get an AWE64 Gold with extra ram (8MB in total). I know Roland (and hardcore DOS) purists will scoff at this but will this be satisfactory for most DOS games?

I only want to play DOS games from the advent of CD-ROM onwards, nothing earlier. So I guess we are looking at approx circa 92 till I guess no later than 97.

(My ideal/ultimate goal is to get SCC-1 + MT-32, but the prices are just too high.)

Reply 1 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That's just not answerable 😀
Yes, for most games this is good enough. But if a game offers MT-32 music then the quality of the music almost always exceeds that of any SB.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 4, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're living in europe this card may also be an alternative. No SB16 support of course, but the rest of the common standards if fulfilled (see the specs):
http://cgi.ebay.de/Original-Terratec-Maestro- … 1QQcmdZViewItem

Midi sound should be better than with Creative's AWEs, very similar to a roland SCB-7 daughterboard. There should be also a way to get the card into MT32 emulation mode, but this could sound weird, and some (early) games just won't accept the card as a MT32. But when it comes to General Midi you should be fine.
I remember gerwin has used this card, maybe you can ask him or look up this thread:
Sound cards - from best to worst