VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by wissa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With Mok's patch and VDMSound I've got System Shock's cd-version running - but with some sound problems. During the intro I'm encountering irritating sound skips with about two second interval (the interval varies). It seems that only the sound is skipping, the visuals continue running during the short gaps in sound.

I haven't really started playing the actual game, but it seems that the midi-musics do not skip as the intro does. However, it sounds like the background musics wouldn't quite keep in tempo. I've had the same problem with Ultima Underworld and Space Quest 5 (= all the old dos-games I've tried in a while). The speed of the music seems to wander a bit, and it doesn't sound accurate. Most of the time it's quite subtle, but the inaccuracy annoys me (being a percussionist). I guess this is actually bigger problem than the skipping intro, since this would go on throughout the game...

details about my computer:
Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X NFORCE2 LAN DDR400
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2000Mhz THOROUGHBRED
Ram: 2X 256Mb DDR 333MHz PC-2700
Soundcard: Soundblaster Live with the (unofficial) kX drivers
Windows XP (with Service Pack 1 installed)

I've tried all the different configurations for the sound cards in the install file, and yes, although at first I had autodetected the IRQ to 5, now the configuration goes as follows: I/O 220H, IRQ 7, 8-bit DMA 1, 16-bit DMA 5. I've also tried to change the (SoundBlaster) buffer lenght and the DMA Servicing Polling Period in the VDMSound properties., with no success. Oh yeah - I don't have a cd in the drive, so the skipping can't be cd-skipping.

I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point. I'd really appreciate any help, I enjoyed System Shock 2 greatly and would really want to have SShock 1 running smoothly...

Reply 2 of 2, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by wissa With Mok's patch and VDMSound I've got System Shock's cd-version running - but with some sound problems. During the intro I'm encountering irritating sound skips with about two second interval (the interval varies).

Like Snover said, the audio in the intro is more difficult to work with than the in-game audio. You can try tinkering with settings in order to smooth things out:

Use MIDI for music, rather than AdLib/SoundBlaster (not quite sure if you're doing that already).
Disable any VDMSound feature that's not being used: Joystick, AdLib Emulation, etc...

If nothing else works, you can force (both the game and VDMSound) to use a basic SoundBlaster for digital audio (SoundBlaster 1.x). Of course, that would be low-quality 8-bit Mono audio as well.

I haven't really started playing the actual game, but it seems that the midi-musics do not skip as the intro does. However, it sounds like the background musics wouldn't quite keep in tempo.

This sounds suspiciously like an OPL3 problem. While Vlad's emulation handles the 16-bit audio of the SB16 just fine, it does not properly emulate the OPL3 (AdLib/FM) music chip from that card (yet).

The work-around for that is to set emulation to that of the early "SoundBlaster Pro" which causes it to use the earlier OPL2 chip. Also, (if the game's setup supports it) you can try configuring music to play through the (emulated) MIDI at port 330. It usually results in much-improved music and smoother game operation. Just make sure to change the MIDI device (under the "Advanced" button) to "Microsoft GS Wavetable", as the default is "MIDI Mapper" (which usually sounds rather "crummy").

Also understand that some games simply won't play properly on an NT OS like XP. Timing issues make a resolution rather difficult.

details about my computer:

If you place these in your profile, you don't need to post them in your message (unless it's part of a specific problem description). We can pull the data from your profile easily.

I've tried all the different configurations for the sound cards in the install file, and yes, although at first I had autodetected the IRQ to 5, now the configuration goes as follows: I/O 220H, IRQ 7, 8-bit DMA 1, 16-bit DMA 5.

Basically, you match it with whatever audio emulation you are using.

For XP's "native" SB emulation, that would be:
Basic SoundBlaster (2.0): I/O 220H, IRQ 5, 8-bit DMA 1

For VDMSound:
SoundBlaster 16: I/O 220H, IRQ 7, 8-bit DMA 1, 16-bit DMA 5

BTW, don't bother trying XP's emulation unless you're really desperate. It usually fails auto-detect, sounds poor, and sometimes just fails completely.

I'd really appreciate any help, I enjoyed System Shock 2 greatly and would really want to have SShock 1 running smoothly...

Concentrate on the game audio, not the intro. The video playback portions of the game are harder on audio than the game itself (especially if you're using the SVGA video).