VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pedro Mariano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, i'm new here, but i have an old prob. since i installed win 95/98 i was not able anymore to run BAK! It keeps saying that i don't have enought mem! do anybody know this game? Knows how to get it working under win98?

duron 1.3
soyo syk7vta-b 128mb pc133
asus 7700 deluxe
seagate 80gb

Reply 2 of 13, by Pedro Mariano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

photo 1

Attachments

• memcp.jpg
    Filename
    memcp.jpg
    File size
    30.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

duron 1.3
asus 7700 deluxe
seagate 80gb

Reply 3 of 13, by Pedro Mariano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

photo 2

Attachments

• memc.jpg
    Filename
    memc.jpg
    File size
    29.73 KiB
    Views
    File license

duron 1.3
asus 7700 deluxe
seagate 80gb

Reply 4 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem is that you have no UMBs, so everything is getting loaded into low memory (the memory below 640K). Unfortunately it's been too long since I dealth with DOS games in Win9x, so someone else will have to help you figure out how to get it working. My guess is you will need to make sure you have lines like:

device=emm386.exe RAM

and

DOS=HIGH,UMB

in your C:\config.sys file

Reply 5 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ The problem is that you have no UMBs, so everything is getting loaded into low memory (the memory below 640K).

HunterZ basically summed it up. IIRC, it also needs EMS memory which always seemed to reduce stability when it's implemented in Win9x (at least that's how it was for me). Your best bet is to disable the automatic loading of the GUI and set up a multi-boot configuration.

This way you can set up a DOS-level setup with XMS memory, a DOS-level setup with EMS and XMS memory, a Windows setup with XMS memory, and finally a Windows setup with EMS and XMS memory.

For DOS, you will need to find the DOS drivers for the Sigmatel AC97 CODEC chipset (if such a driver exists), the mouse, and the CD-ROM drive.

MEMMAKER does a good job of setting up things for you and creating EMS memory, but you have to set it up manually the first time as it's not normally included in Windows 9x. I can create a boot-floppy with the files needed and post it, but you need to disable the automatic loading of Windows first.

BTW, Axcel216 has tons of info about this stuff, including good recommendations for DOS Mouse and CD-ROM drivers.

Reply 6 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

or you could use dosbox.

See my signature for the link.

The only drawback is that the start/loading screen takes a while to pass ( 2 minutes i recall)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Pedro Mariano just to begin, what is GUI? do you people have in mind that i use win98?

We may have language communication problem. GUI is short for:

Graphic
User
Interface

Any operating system that uses windows, graphic objects, and a mouse to operate it, is using a GUI.

In the case of Windows 3.1 / 95 / 98, the GUI portion of the operating system is optional. They can all be treated as DOS-type operating systems by not loading the GUI.

If you have Tweak UI 2000, you can choose to stop the GUI from loading automatically with just a few clicks. You can also do it by unprotecting MSDOS.SYS and changing the BootGUI=0 entry inside to BootGUI=1.

You can start Windows manually by typing WIN.

Reply 11 of 13, by Pedro Mariano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. now every thing makes sense... My english is not very good and i didn't knew that GUI abreviation.
When you sugested a multi-boot, what exactly did you have in mind? using some boot magic-like software? If so, how do i make changes in only one of them? isn't it more simple to create a boot disk? I can run memmaker to best config the files in the diskete, no? I know about the lack of memmaker in win 9x cause i used to use it in 3.x and tryed do continue using after the change. I think some time ago i managed to get it working, but i didn't knew that trick of disabling the loading of the gui, so i had to pay attention and stop the loading by pressing F8(i think...).
If you could give me some more hints in how to do all this stuff, including sound and mouse drivers, i would apreciate

duron 1.3
asus 7700 deluxe
seagate 80gb

Reply 12 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Pedro Mariano When you sugested a multi-boot, what exactly did you have in mind? using some boot magic-like software?

No, no. Just use the multi-config option that's been part of DOS and Win9x, but is rarely used anymore.

If so, how do i make changes in only one of them? isn't it more simple to create a boot disk? I can run memmaker to best config the files in the diskete, no? I know about the lack of memmaker in win 9x cause i used to use it in 3.x and tryed do continue using after the change.

Some of the files have to be updated to get it working properly with Win98.

I think some time ago i managed to get it working, but i didn't knew that trick of disabling the loading of the gui, so i had to pay attention and stop the loading by pressing F8(i think...).

I wouldn't recommend that. Too easy for it too slip by unless you sit there and intercept it at every reboot.

Much better to set up a multiconfig and make a normal Windows boot the default option. That way, it will normally boot just like it did before, but you will have the option of choosing other configurations if you need them.

If you could give me some more hints in how to do all this stuff, including sound and mouse drivers, i would apreciate

You might want to make yourself comfortable with DOS before you get started. You need to experiment with MEMMAKER first, then save the resulting AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files (with special names for easy identification later).

For example. You could run memmaker on your PC and choose for it to create EMS memory (because some games will need it). Once it's done, you copy the new AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files as AUTOEXEC.EMS and CONFIG.EMS. You would then try other configurations (No EMS memory, EMS with CD-ROM and mouse, No EMS with CD=ROM and mouse) and copy those files in the same way (giving special names for each configuration).

Try disabling the your windows from automatically loading and try this modified memmaker-disk maker. If your Windows ins installed in:
C:\WINDOWS
then just run the COPYMEM.BAT and it will copy the needed files to your COMMAND directory. Remove the floppy, boot to DOS (No GUI), then run memmaker.

Please remember, every PC is different, some Windows 98 installations work fine with EMS memory; others will become unstable.

Attachments

• Filename
    memmaker98.exe
    File size
    908.88 KiB
    Downloads
    246 downloads
    File license

Reply 13 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For DOS CD-ROM drivers, try what Axcel216 suggests.

For the mouse, Cutemouse seems to be the favorite.

For audio...hrrm. Check your Motherboard's driver CD to see if there are DOS audio drivers available there. If not, running games with sound in DOS will not be an option.

I've attached a Zip file containing examples of a multi-config of AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files. Remember, these are examples. You can't just drop them into your C:\ drive and expect them to work. However, you load them into EDIT or Notepad; it will give you an idea how Multi-config works.

Attachments

• Filename
    multi.zip
    File size
    807 Bytes
    Downloads
    200 downloads
    File license