VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I get the infamous "can't open COM1" error with SystemShock 1. I'm assuming this is some mouse-related error. I'm running WinXP and the mouse is ps/2. Any tips appreciated !! Yes, I'm using VDMSound along with the new CDShock.exe and mouse2kv.exe. Help!!!

rms
rsquires@flash.net

Reply 2 of 11, by rms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I've always disabled both onboard serial ports in my nforce2 bios . I tried re-enabling them (the choices are irq3 or irq4), with no effect. I tried searching the registry for com1, and it appears to be associated with the serial controllers, but I don't know what the significance of that might be.

Device Manager shows only Com2/com3 for the onboard serial ports, no com1. If I remember from dos days, com1/irq4 generally belonged to the mouse, but DevMan shows the mouse on irq12. Is there a bios setting that could force the mouse to com1, or do you have any other ideas ?

rms

Reply 3 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by rms Yes, I've always disabled both onboard serial ports in my nforce2 bios . I tried re-enabling them (the choices are irq3 or irq4), with no effect.

So, even with both ports enabled, you still get the "can't open COM1" error?

I tried searching the registry for com1, and it appears to be associated with the serial controllers, but I don't know what the significance of that might be.

I don't know if the actual port number is actually relevant within XP. It has to do with how the actual program is accessing the ports.

Device Manager shows only Com2/com3 for the onboard serial ports, no com1. If I remember from dos days, com1/irq4 generally belonged to the mouse, but DevMan shows the mouse on irq12.

I don't think the mouse is the issue.

I would recommend that you remove mouse2kv.exe from the mix for right now. Make sure that the game is running properly before trying to use it.

Reply 4 of 11, by Megatron1983

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same error with Com 2 on my machine and my mouse is USB. I just click on ignore and the game will run flawlessy, however I still have no sound but thats another topic 😉

Reply 5 of 11, by rms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Woooot!! You are right about the Ignore the com1 error!! All I had to do after that was Maximize and Restore the dos window, and it came right up !

My questions now are:

1) Slow Mouse response in 640x480 mode. I tried raising the windows speed, with little effect. Any dos utility that might help? In WinXP now.

2) Stuttering soundeffects. I've heard that tweaking pci latency settings can help here, anyone tried this? I'm using the nforce2 sound on my motherboard now, though I also have a SantaCruz installed. I'll give that a try later. This is without VDMSound running.

Thanks again for any help!!

rms

Reply 6 of 11, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rms wrote:

Woooot!! You are right about the Ignore the com1 error!! All I had to do after that was Maximize and Restore the dos window, and it came right up !

My questions now are:

1) Slow Mouse response in 640x480 mode. I tried raising the windows speed, with little effect. Any dos utility that might help? In WinXP now.

Mouse2KV should fix this.

2) Stuttering soundeffects. I've heard that tweaking pci latency settings can help here, anyone tried this? I'm using the nforce2 sound on my motherboard now, though I also have a SantaCruz installed. I'll give that a try later. This is without VDMSound running.

This should only occur in the intro.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 11, by rms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

Mouse2KV should fix this.

Ok, Mouse2kv does make the mouse more responsive in the game, yay! However if I expand the automap to fullsize, the mouse pointer disappears, and when I exit the map by hitting 'q', the game crashes. Any idea what the problem is here?

rms

Reply 10 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by rms Ok, but how can I create map markers without access to the full screen map?

This is the first I've heard of this error. Does it only happen when using Mouse2kv?