VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd pay for Glidos, but it says that the registration code is only good for one computer, and I don't consider that to be acceptable terms.

Anyway, is it at all possible to make the mp3 audio pack work in Tomb Raider using dgVoodoo (or just not using Glidos)? I could care less about the texture packs - I'm a purist and don't really like "upgrading" a game's artwork, but the mp3 audio pack seems to be more about restoring music that was wrongly stripped from the PC version than about adding "new" stuff.

Also, on a side note, how does the Playstation version compare to the DOS version? If it doesn't have any major downsides (other than the save system), I might just buy a used copy of it.

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

mp3 audio pack? Stripped from the pc version? Are you talking about the original version? And concerning glidos license, do you seriously play on more than one pc?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 5, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

mp3 audio pack? Stripped from the pc version? Are you talking about the original version?

I'm talking about this:
http://www.glidos.net/audio.html
Unless I misunderstand something, the Playstation version originally had a whole bunch of music tracks, the PC port lost most of them, and this pack brings them back.

And concerning glidos license, do you seriously play on more than one pc?

Yes, especially if you count future ones.

Reply 3 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ah I see what you are talking about with the mp3 tracks.
Concerning the license, I haven't found exact description or the license itself right away on the net or the glidos page, but I'm pretty sure that you can unlock Glidos for a future pc.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 5, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
thecrankyhermit wrote:

I'm talking about this:
http://www.glidos.net/audio.html
Unless I misunderstand something, the Playstation version originally had a whole bunch of music tracks, the PC port lost most of them, and this pack brings them back..

for info by KMO about the Playstation vs. PC Tomb Raider 1 cdaudio stuff, take a look at
Release 1.10 zip :
Glidos v1.38 and VDos32 v0.7
(post from 2007-11-01 @ 09:34 am)

Also, check your inbox soon for a PM I'm going to send you.

thecrankyhermit wrote:

Yes, especially if you count future ones.

well, I've been changing my pc sets many times since I registered my Glidos license 6 or 7 years ago and Paul Gardiner (Glidos' creator) always quickly renewed me the new Glidos unlock codes, so don't worry about that 😀

Reply 5 of 5, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm actually not using Vista yet, so that link wound up being very useful. I made a mixed-mode CD image using music from the mp3 pack, and dropped in the custom TOMB.EXE, and the results seems to work just fine in dgVoodoo, with the Audio Pack (just not in mp3 form). Although a future-proof solution would be nice, this current one appears to do everything I was hoping to get when I posted. Anyway, thanks for the info, and good luck in hunting down the perfect Vista solution for TR1. Maybe someday I'll be trying to hunt it down too.