VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zibri

User metadata

There seems to be no way to run this wonderful game under XP...

Any hints ?!

Reply 1 of 5, by Zibri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There seems no way to run this marvelous game under windows XP...
I tried everything except VMWARE (but that's cheating!).

I also saw a version in a shop for only 20 Euro. I don't know if this version supports windows or is just the normal version.

Any hints ?

Reply 2 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This, IIRC, is one of the more difficult titles to get working (if in fact, it can be made to work). Anyone recall the (rather frustrating) message thread from the old board?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FWIW, I know you can emulate the Amiga-CD32 version (32-color) using WinUAE on a PC. The drop in colors is noticeable, but not catastrophic. More of an issue is the audio sample quality. Not sure if it's due to emulation or not. However, it _does_ work.

If you're already using WinUAE, it's no big deal to set up an install of B.A.S.S. If not, you may want to consider the effort needed.

The 32-Color Amiga-CD32 version is freely available (with permission) at:
http://www.back2roots.org
(Word of warning: It's a 64Meg download)

Also, there was (supposedly) an AGA Amiga-CD32 version which had the full 256-color palette. That, however, is not freely available and apparently almost impossible to find.

Reply 3 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to give you an idea, here the emulation running in a window.

Attachments

• bass-cd3201.png
    Filename
    bass-cd3201.png
    File size
    37.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This one kind of shows the effect of dropping to 32 colors.

Attachments

• bass-cd3202.png
    Filename
    bass-cd3202.png
    File size
    35.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got BaSS to run in Windows 2000 SP3 but with a few problems:

1. The audio interrupts are wrong, so the speech and sound effects cut off mid-play.
  2. The introduction video doesn't play. (Whether this is just an unsupported VESA mode or something I don't know, but the Virgin logo just sits there and burns into my monitor. I distinctly remember having the intro playing with incorrect sample speed and lots of grinding noise with 2.0.4 vanilla (no update 1), though, so I don't know what the hell's happening. It's obviously not a problem with fetching data off the CD, since all the game installs is a batch file and a config file.)

I'm going to output wave to disk so that you can hear exactly what I'm talking about.

Yes, it’s my fault.