VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings,

I have the Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 CD-Rom, and I am trying to get it tor un everything from the hard disk. If I copy the remaining files from each directory from the CD to the corresponding folders on the hard drive, the sound stops working. I've tried re-configuring the sound, but have not succeeded. I've tried re-installing over the directory too.

I am running in a pure DOS 6.22 environment.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Reply 1 of 6, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings from Britania!

This is probably happening because as far as I know, once you copy a file from cdrom to the hard disk, it is copied as "read only". If you change this and reconfigure the sound, it may work.

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 2 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

The sound (music) is not necessarily stored as files on the CD. It could be stored as audio-tracks which the game reads & plays. And those tracks can not simply be copied to the hard disk.

You could try making CUE/BIN images of the CD's and use DOSBox to make everything run from the harddisk, but then it would not be pure DOS 6.22.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.geocities.com/jadoxa/shsucdx/index.html

Not sure if it supports CD Audio.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 6, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings,

I have verified that the files have been set to read/write, but that didn't solve the issued. Also, the audio in this game consists of Sound Blaster FM music from MIDI files, Sound Blaster FM sound effects, and digital audio files for speech in cutscenes, etc... I do not think there is any CD audio layer or anything like that, since this is basically the diskette version of the problem sold on a CD.

Another odd thing, is that once the contents are copied to the hard disk, the sound no longer functions even when the game is launched from the CD. Just to be sure I wasn't overwriting something needed, I made a backup of the game install directory, copied the contents from the CD, then copied the backup back to the game directory again.

I'm missing something!

Reply 5 of 6, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did try running some of these games in DOSbox, but they were just not responsive enough to be tolerable. Instead, I've re-bult an old system just to play these games. Believe me, I have no desire to re-visit DOS at all. I just couldn't get the games running any other way.

Does anyone know of a way to put a CD image on the hard disk that can be mounted under DOS? Would that be shsucdx?

Reply 6 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
crash. wrote:

Would that be shsucdx?

Yes.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions