VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by basti007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

first of all: great to have found this place. I'm an old tweak-junkies and tries to get old dos games run on every system i can get hands on.

now to my problem:

I have 6 different PC systems at the moment. one of the them gives me quite headaches with sound issues:

Celeron 800 MHz
Win98SE and MS DOS 5.0
NVIDIA TNT2 M64
PS/2 Mouse
one FAT16 2 GB
one FAT32 40 GB
-and-
ForteMedia Soundcard 801
(identical with the SoundMaster 128 PCI or TerraTec 128 PCI - driver version 1.17 (from terratec homepage)
ports are A220 I7 D1 at the moment (tried different settings already). There are no shared IRQ-Ports with the soundcard (i have reserved the I7 exclusively for the dos drivers of the card).

drivers are all correctly installed. playing dos games in windows or ms dos doesn't make any problem, except games with the HMI drivers (i think, that's miles, right?). No matter what games i try to play, there is always cracking within playing and after an uncertain amount of time the whole sound crashes (while playing is still no problem).

I am able to play Under a Killing Moon though with the HMI files of the Aria Soundcard-Patch that can be downloaded from microsoft.com. This patch includes different versions of the files HMIDET.386, HMIDRV.386 and HMIMDRV.386.

If i overwrite the hmi files of the Under a Killing Moon section and then edit the configuration files of the game to *not* let the sound setup verify the settings of the soundcard, the game will play just fine.

Interessting fact is, that not any other game with HMI files, not even Pandora Directive (the sequel of UAKM which is based on the same engine) will work with these patched files.

Any idea?

Reply 1 of 1, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by basti007 Any idea?

None. I found no info on this problem and not having a card with this chipset means there's no way for me to test it.

You'll need to find another user with this audio chipset and some knowledge of DOS games operation.