VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by knifehandchop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I got sound working for my copy of Syndicate, sort of anyway. Basically sound is fine for a while, but when there are too many gunshots the sound stops and doesn't come back. I'm using Abandonloader on Windows ME, Athlon 1ghz, only 128mb of ram, GeForce 2 32mb. I think my soundcard is called VIA AC97. Any help you guys could give would be great, thanks.

Reply 1 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by knifehandchop Well I got sound working for my copy of Syndicate, sort of anyway.

"Sort of" having the sound working is kind of like being sort of healthy. It could be worse, but there are no guarantees that it will get better.

Basically sound is fine for a while, but when there are too many gunshots the sound stops and doesn't come back.

It sounds like your audio chipset has weak DOS support.

I'm using Abandonloader on Windows ME, Athlon 1ghz, only 128mb of ram, GeForce 2 32mb. I think my soundcard is called VIA AC97.

*ack* Basically, you're machine is "too new". If you enter Syndicate into the Quick Search box above, you'll find this is one of the more difficult titles to get running on a modern PC. I have yet to get it working properly on anything other than on an old 486-66 PC.

Hopefully, DosBox will be able to support it in the future.

Reply 2 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Hopefully, DosBox will be able to support it in the future.

I think it might. (try the latest beta NSG)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 10, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually I'm able to get Syndicate running perfectly in Win2K with VDMSound (normal Soundblaster emulation, and VESA support enabled). I had a few stability + weird sound problems, but those went away when I replaced the DOS4GW.EXE in the game directory with a newer one (look around for a version of DOS4GW dated 1995.10.31).

Might be (probably will be in fact) a whole different kettle of fish with WinME / any other Win9X variant though.

Reply 5 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by oneirotekt Actually I'm able to get Syndicate running perfectly in Win2K with VDMSound (normal Soundblaster emulation, and VESA support enabled). I had a few stability + weird sound problems, but those went away when I replaced the DOS4GW.EXE in the game directory with a newer one (look around for a version of DOS4GW dated 1995.10.31).

Could you possibly give a detailed breakdown of exactly what you did? This might be a 2000-vs-XP issue or maybe we've just been missing something.

It may also have something to do with which version you are playing. Apparently my "EA Gold" CD is one of the worst "misbehavers".

Reply 6 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Last I had heard, there was some potential but still problems. We'll see.

Maybe it's time for a new beta then 😀
According to harekiet it ran fine.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 10, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Could you possibly give a detailed breakdown of exactly what you did? This might be a 2000-vs-XP issue or maybe we've just been missing something.

It may also have something to do with which version you are playing. Apparently my "EA Gold" CD is one of the worst "misbehavers".

The version I'm using is a zipped install (with the American Revolt expansion installed too) off my old (OLD!) machine from 1994, which I've since lost the original floppies for. I'm pretty sure it's the original release of the game, dunno what they changed in the CD version. I'd give ya the date of the game executable but it was overridden when I burned it all to CD back in 1998. My version of MAIN.EXE is 489,529 bytes.

I'm running the latest version of VDMSound, with all the updates. Via the launchpad I enabled VESA support, DPMI support, and standard Soundblaster settings. I got frequent slowdowns and crashes until I used that newer version of DOS4GW I mentioned, that seems to be the secret.

I'm running Win2K, service pack 4 on a 1.2GHz Athlon, ASUS A7V motherboard, SBLive sound with Geforce4 4200 video.

Reply 9 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by oneirotekt The version I'm using is a zipped install (with the American Revolt expansion installed too) off my old (OLD!) machine from 1994, which I've since lost the original floppies for.

That makes sense. From what I've read, people with floppy versions consistently have more success.

I'm pretty sure it's the original release of the game, dunno what they changed in the CD version.

All I know of is a more detailed intro animation. The "EA Gold" version basically runs off of the CD, leaving only a config file and save files.

I got frequent slowdowns and crashes until I used that newer version of DOS4GW I mentioned, that seems to be the secret.

Hrmm. Wonder if I can force-feed that into the CD version. Will have try when I can find the CD (again).

Reply 10 of 10, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oneirotekt wrote:

My version of MAIN.EXE is 489,529 bytes.

Maybe you could use HKSFV to make a SFV or an MD5 file of the Syndicate directory(s) (SFV being a list of CRC32s, MD5 obvious). And upload here for comparisons.

http://www.big-o-software.com/