VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Marty Friedman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running the latest version of Dosbox (0.58).

i own a P3 1GHz and 256 of ram and when im running """newer games""" like wolfenstien 3d, its moving slow, much slower then running it trough VDMsound. the sound also bumps...

when im speeding up the cpu cycles, the game does speeds up, but it doesn't get to oroginal speed befor it starting to slow down.
ans the ound is bumpy as i said...
what is the problem??? im sure my cpu (1Ghz) is strong enough to run it with sound a normal speed....why is that?

What comes quickly will dissapear in the same quickness.

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

quite desperate ?
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.phpthread_ … forum_id=174314

Take a look on what's written overthere.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Marty Friedman
i own a P3 1GHz and 256 of ram and when im running """newer games""" like wolfenstien 3d, its moving slow, much slower then running it trough VDMsound. the sound also bumps...

Bumps?

...when im speeding up the cpu cycles, the game does speeds up, but it doesn't get to original speed befor it starting to slow down.

That basically means you don't have enough processing power to run it at the speed you want. When you run an emulator like DosBox, it has to split up part of your PC's resources between the PC emulator and your actual PC. Once you give too much of your resources to the emulator (too many cycles), it will cause your "real" PC to slow down (which, of course, causes the emulator to slow down as well).

im sure my cpu (1Ghz) is strong enough to run it with sound a normal speed....why is that?

Don't be too sure. Remember, you're not just running a game, you're emulating a computer running a game.

One thing you might check is windowsize if you're running it in a window. Either start and the game in fullscreen mode or make sure your .CONF file has the setting of keepsmall=true.

Originally posted by Marty Friedman It says Page not found :\

I'm going to take a wild guess that Qbix was trying to point you to an experimental "Dynamic Recompiling" version of DosBox. It's designed to squeeze out more performance without having to upgrade your hardware.

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread … forum_id=174313

Just remember, it's NOT an official release, so don't bug the DosBox authors about it and don't get your hopes up too high.

Reply 4 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

this is the one i meant

one ? fell away

Try that keepsmall is true and increase the frameskip.

Reply 5 of 6, by Marty Friedman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks...i didn't realize that it's THAT powerfull software...now i know.

i guess there is no matching to a good old MS-dos based comp for these games.

what's the keepsmall does? i'm not running the games in full screen...

2.if i will buily myself a comp with win95 instead of DOS, most of the games will run fine and with sound right? (Sound blaster 16 pci card).

What comes quickly will dissapear in the same quickness.

Reply 6 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

most of them. but you have no way of limiting your speed.

keepsmall is for windowed mode. We usually double your width and height and interpolate using the scale2x algorithm

if you set it to true that will all be disabled.

Be sure to mess around with it as wolf3d can be played fine at a 1 ghz machine using dosbox. I could run it even fine with me 700 mhz machine.