VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Fulgore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, basically on my old PC with the following specs:
- AMD Athlon 2700+
- MSI KT4V Motherboard (AC'97 onboard sound)
- 1.5GB RAM
- ATI Radeon 9000 series graphics card
- Windows XP Pro SP2 32-bit
- Acer AL707 17" Monitor
I used to be able to run Master of Magic, Tie Fighter, Zeliard, Civilization, Cyberdogs and other such games and applications from directly within windows without any problems.

However, I have now upgraded to a:
- Intel Q9450
- ASUS P5E Motherboard (SupremeFXII onboard sound)
- 4GB RAM (3.25GB available)
- nVidia GeForce 8800 GT (ASUS)
- Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit
- Samsung 245B 24" Monitor
But when I try to run ANY of these games I get an "NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction" error. You can see the error messages as attachments below. Note that the Hex Code is different for each game, but doesn't change for the same game (ie every time I load say Zeliard, I always get the same Hex code). Interestingly, Civilization does actually load the start options (The select 1 for mouse and keyboard etc) in a small DOS window that can't be maximised or anything, but it then crashes with the same error when the actual game tries to load.

Google searching the error just seems to find people saying that this is caused by a virus, but that doesn't apply because I've got a brand new install and it happens on my brother's PC with the exact same specs (except a 19" Monitor).

Now I know NTVDM is the Windows NT Virtual DOS Machine, but surely this should still work right? I've tried replacing the version of ntvdm in system32, but it doesn't have any effect. My only thoughts are;
- Is this due to a lack of graphics support for DOS?
- Does my processor not support 16-bit instructions?
- Did something change in XP SP3?
(I doubt it's XP SP3 because I installed a new XP SP3 install into VMWare and it worked albeit it could not be maximised due to VMWare's graphics driver).

Yes I've gotten these games working in DOSBOX (VDMSound gives the same error), but I am dying to know why this is happening.

Attachments

• NTVDM Civilization Error.JPG
    Filename
    NTVDM Civilization Error.JPG
    File size
    10.48 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Civilization Error
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • NTVDM Magic Error.JPG
    Filename
    NTVDM Magic Error.JPG
    File size
    10.42 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Master of Magic Error
    File license
  • NTVDM Seek Error.JPG
    Filename
    NTVDM Seek Error.JPG
    File size
    11.92 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Seek & Destroy Error
    File license
  • NTVDM Tie Error.JPG
    Filename
    NTVDM Tie Error.JPG
    File size
    10.55 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Tie Fighter Error
    File license
  • NTVDM Zeliard Error.JPG
    Filename
    NTVDM Zeliard Error.JPG
    File size
    10.68 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Zeliard Error
    File license

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

video drivers are the issue. There is a program to modify windows file to allow proper access to your video card but your better off using dosbox

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 4, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Fulgore wrote:

Thanks for the fast reply, but just for testing purposes, what's the name of the program that you're thinking of?

The VGA.SYS patcher will not do you any good with the NVidia 8800GT in your WinXP (SP3) system. The problem is due to the interaction of the VBIOS of the NVidia 8800GT and the Microsoft WinXP (SP3) VGS.SYS default driver which is used by the NTVDM.

See this post for more information.

Hope this information helps to answer your question,

dvwjr

Reply 4 of 4, by Stilgarr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a very helpfull post. I changed from a ATI 850 card to a nVIDIA8800GT recently. This was the same time as SP3. I was wondering which of the two broke my DOS games. This clears it up.
Luky there's DOSbox to help

Thx

AMD64X2 3800+,Asus A8N-E, 2048MB PC3200 RAM, nVidia8800GT 512MB DDR3, SB X-Fi, WinXP SP3.