VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Megatron1983

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought the CD Version of System Shock 1 from a friend and set it up properly on my XP Home SP1 Machine. The game starts perfectly and runs smooth as well, the only problem is that I dont have any sound even though the Sound Emulation is active and loaded properly. This happens during the Intro AND the game!
I have VDMSOUND latest version installed and already played around with the settings a little, however it does not work.

Do you maybe have any reference config info for using the program with nForce boards using the onboard sound?
The problem accours on nForce 1 as well my nForce 2 with Soundstorm board by the way.

Which device should I use? Primary Soundriver? nForce Audio?
What IRQ? etc.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Helmi

Reply 1 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you running the game by right-clicking on the executable and choosing "Run with VDMSound"? Do you have any WINIO.SYS or GIVEIO.SYS on your system? Do you have any files with the string "Ke386" in them?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 6, by Megatron1983

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"Are you running the game by right-clicking on the executable and choosing "Run with VDMSound"?"

I did that once and it created a shortcut that automaticly launches this NOLFB and the updated CDSHOCK.exe including the VDM Sound program.

"Do you have any WINIO.SYS or GIVEIO.SYS on your system?"

No for both files.

"Do you have any files with the string "Ke386" in them?"

Nope, nothing there as well.

Reply 3 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try downloading Ms.PacEm from here. Unlike most other DOS games, it requires no setting for IRQ or DMA. It will automatically try to match itself to whatever soundcard (emulated or real) you have. It should play a small bit of music at the start of the game and digital sound effects within the game.

Do you get both the sound effects and music when you run it with VDMSound?

Reply 4 of 6, by rms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I'm running a nforce2 abit nf7-s board, and SS1 runs great, with basically no tweaking. What I'd be sure to run is ControlPanel/Sound/AudioTab and check that the nvidia choice is in all dropdown boxes.

Then run the Install.exe in the SShock dir and set the Auto for both sfx and music and Test to see if they work.

I didn't run vdmsound at all btw, just made a shortcut to cdshock.exe with the correct memory settings.

rms

Reply 6 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Megatron1983 Yes I get great sound in the Pacman game.
I wonder why it wont work with System Shock

In that case, it appears that VDMSound is OK, but the problem is on the "System Shock" side.

Try forcing both VDMSound and "System Shock" to use the basic "Sound Blaster' (v1.0x).

Presuming you are running this with the GUI Launchpad. Right-click on your game's VLP shortcut, click the ADVANCED button, click on the SoundBlaster Tab and change the "DSP Ver" to 1.05 (SoundBlaster 1.x).

Use SystemShock's install/setup program to have it use the most basic SoundBlaster. Make sure your are matching up the IRQ and DMA with the IRQ and DMA of VDMSound.

IRQ 7
DMA 1 (Low DMA: almost always needed)
DMA 5 (High DMA: Only needed for 16-Bit Soundblaster output)