VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mikegros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to play Gabriel knight 1 on vista. Althought it seems to work under 256 collor compatabillity the the text is going way to fast. I've tried the dosbox also and the same problem ocures with much worse sound quality. I've been searching for solution on-line for almoust five hours. If anyone has a clue of how resolving this issue, his/her help will be much appreciated.

Reply 1 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This happens when the game cannot find the audio files. Play the game in DOSBox and be sure to mount your CD. You can try my GK1 DOSBox installer. You will need your original CD to install the game, but you will not need the CD to play.

Reply 2 of 4, by wizzel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used your installer and it worked fine ONLY because of the Paths set in the Resource.cfg file:

videoDrv = VGA.DRV
soundDrv = GENMIDI.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = NO
audioIRQ = 7
cmd = GKCD
mouseDrv = none
memoryDrv = none
minmemory = 2M
CD = NO
smartdrv = YES
mode = protected
audio=.\;.\sfx;.\patches;.\aud
sync=.\aud
movieDir=.\seq
patchDir=.\;.\patches
audiosize=43k

Anyone else have the speedy-text issue should use this for his/her Resource.cfg and everything works fine. 😊

The future of computation lies in emulation.

Reply 3 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not quite. By default some of the resources, especially the audio resource, is not installed with the game by the original installer, necessitating mounting of the CD drive in DOSBox along with the "C:" drive. My installers copy ALL required files/folders for 100% play from the HDD and applies all relevant patches. It also automatically sets up the game to run in DOSBox, with optimal settings for the Sierra SCI games, and can be run from a Windows shortcut. Anyone that knows the Sierra config files and how to use DOSBox obviously does not need my installer, but those that have trouble setting up games in DOSBox and mounting drives will find my installer helpful. Before you slam something, be sure that you know what it is and what or who it is intended for.

Reply 4 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

++collector

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions