VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kukus444

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im now going to try crusader no remorse with that program. but i have some problems. When im going to install win 95 on my new drive, then i cant reach the CD-ROM. I can only reach C: \ and A:\
I have my CD-ROM at F:\ , so my question is: How can i reach F:\? when i write f: in C:\ then it shows "wrong *bla bla bla*" (i have the swedish version, so i dont know what it shows in english 😁 So how can i reach my CD? I need to install an OS.

Last edited by kukus444 on 2003-07-25, 11:29. Edited 1 time in total.

- Kukus444 has spoken!

Reply 4 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by kukus444 When im going to install win 95 on my new drive, then i cant reach the CD-ROM. I can only reach C: \ and A:\
I have my CD-ROM at F:\ , so my question is: How can i reach F:\? when i write f: in C:\ then it shows "wrong *bla bla bla*" (i have the swedish version, so i dont know what it shows in english 😁 So how can i reach my CD? I need to install an OS.

*shakes head*

kukus, stop and think about this. It's a PC emulator, so now that you've set it up, you're in exactly the same position that you would be if you had a real (empty) hard drive and CD-ROM:

You need an OS to access the CD-ROM...
but you can't access the CD-ROM until you install an OS.

Back when Win95 came out, it was (apparently) presumed that your CD-ROM came with a driver disk that would setup the driver for you (except of course, those need an OS on which to install the driver).

Fortunately, you have an easy way out: go to [url]http://www.bootdisk.com,[/url] grab the Windows95B Bootdisk (boot95b.exe).

Put a (real) blank floppy in it's drive then run the executable. After it creates the boot disk, start up the Virtual PC and it will boot from the (real) floppy and set up the CD-ROM drive (R: for some reason). When it finishes, mount your Win95 CD in Virtual PC, then switch to the R: drive in Virtual PC then start up the Win95 setup program. You'll need to leave the floppy in the drive until the control is switched to Windows95.

Reply 5 of 11, by kukus444

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, i knew that i had to install the CD stuffs, but i thougt i did that, because i installed DOS 6.22 before...but perhaps it didnt work then. And after that, i realized that i forgot to install the "add on" disc with such stuffs. Well well, but i have already installed win 98 😁 But thanks for your help anyway...i think i will add the http://www.bootdisc.com to my favourites....😉

- Kukus444 has spoken!

Reply 6 of 11, by kukus444

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kukus444 wrote:

Hmm, i knew that i had to install the CD stuffs, but i thougt i did that, because i installed DOS 6.22 before...but perhaps it didnt work then. And after that, i realized that i forgot to install the "add on" disc with such stuffs. Well well, but i have already installed win 98 😁 But thanks for your help anyway...i think i will add the http://www.bootdisc.com to my favourites....😉

Now i will try to install win95 too, and all can say this far is that connectrix virtual PC are one of my favorite programs...

Last edited by kukus444 on 2003-07-30, 13:44. Edited 1 time in total.

- Kukus444 has spoken!

Reply 7 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by kukus444 Hmm, i knew that i had to install the CD stuffs, but i thougt i did that, because i installed DOS 6.22 before...

DOS doesn't include the CD-ROM drivers you need. You'll always need a DOS driver from the manufacturer or a "generic" DOS CD-ROM driver.

Reply 8 of 11, by kukus444

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

DOS doesn't include the CD-ROM drivers you need. You'll always need a DOS driver from the manufacturer or a "generic" DOS CD-ROM driver.

kukus444 wrote:

And after that, i realized that i forgot to install the "add on" disc with such stuffs.

I think there are cdrom drivers at that disc, but im not sure. Do you know if it is?

- Kukus444 has spoken!

Reply 10 of 11, by kukus444

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Which disc is "that disc"?

Hmmmm...it is in swedish, but i will translate...uuhhm...it says "expansion disc" or "add on disc" only, but it is for MS DOS 6.22. 3 discs for the install, and the add on disc....

- Kukus444 has spoken!

Reply 11 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by kukus444 ...it says "expansion disc" or "add on disc" only, but it is for MS DOS 6.22. 3 discs for the install, and the add on disc....

No. The OS will include the MSCDEX needed to access the CD-ROM, but it won't include the driver. Like I said, CD-ROM drivers usually came with the CD-ROM drive on a floppy disk. It usually included an automatic installer that modified the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files for you so you could access the CD-ROM at the DOS level.

You either need to use the manufacturer’s DOS driver or a generic DOS driver. There should be a virtual floppy included with VPC named "Dos Additions.vfd". Running the install program on that virtual floppy will install Connectix DOS (Virtual) CD-ROM driver (as well as a DOS network tool, and Idle-CPU detection program).