VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

I seem to have the same problems as tomservo6 mentioned in a thread: "About half the time in a battle, all of the graphics become garbled except where my mouse is over. "
The characters disappear from the combat screen and all I see are the terrain tiles.
I've tried on Win Xp and 98 (Restarted in Dos mode) too, with different graphic cards: ATI RADEON 8500, NVIDIA GFORCE 2, MATROX G400, all produced the same results.

Reply 1 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Shade I seem to have the same problems as tomservo6 mentioned in a thread: "About half the time in a battle, all of the graphics become garbled except where my mouse is over....
I've tried on Win Xp and 98 (Restarted in Dos mode) too, with different graphic cards: ATI RADEON 8500, NVIDIA GFORCE 2, MATROX G400, all produced the same results.

Well considering that you had this problem with two different OS's and three different video cards, it's either a rare bug that few have seen, or corrupted data files.

Are you running the CD-ROM version?

Reply 2 of 6, by Shade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you running the CD-ROM version?

Unfortunetly (or maybe fortunetly) not.
The thing is I had the disc version of the game in "the good old days" (this means an OS of Win 95 and some older video card, so make that three different OS's and four video cards) and it did EXACTLY the same thing.

I recently sighted the game on an abandonware site (don't know if I should advertise the site, but if you're interested I can give the link), and as I still have the will to play it, I downloaded the thing.
It also appears to be the disc version. (setup has dat.s01 dat.s02... files all the size of 1.38 MB)

So the two (disc) versions had the same problem.

I'm getting pretty frustrated here...

My question would be: howcome this isn't a large scale problem?
I can't think of a rational explanation... Am I cursed with the thing?

Reply 3 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Shade Unfortunetly (or maybe fortunetly) not.

Hrmm...

The thing is I had the disc version of the game in "the good old days" (this means an OS of Win 95 and some older video card, so make that three different OS's and four video cards) and it did EXACTLY the same thing.

Then it's possible that this may be a bug that 's always been in the game. Although I kind of doubt that as few people seem to have this problem.

I'm getting pretty frustrated here...

Join the crowd.

My question would be: howcome this isn't a large scale problem?
I can't think of a rational explanation...

Unfortunately, there may not be a rational explanation. I know there was a graphics bug (children's faces) if you had 64MB or more of memory, but even that shouldn't happen when running it with VDMSound.

Presently, I can think of know of no other suggestion than to wait for the next DosBox release. The present version can't run it yet.

Reply 5 of 6, by Shade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Then it's possible that this may be a bug that 's always been in the game.

It seems like you're right again...

I managed to find some other unfortunate souls who had the same problem, and apparently it only shows up on the disc version of the game.

The bug can be fixed by running a patch (as unofficial as can be), which updates star.exe and the problem no longer occures.

Downside of this is, that the patch only updates the original file, so you can't use the mouse fix for Xp (by Mok).

No matter, it runs greatly with Win 98.

Again, thanks for the help!

Reply 6 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Shade I managed to find some other unfortunate souls who had the same problem, and apparently it only shows up on the disc version of the game.

Odd that...I guess the majority of people must have the CD version.

The bug can be fixed by running a patch (as unofficial as can be), which updates star.exe and the problem no longer occures.

Downside of this is, that the patch only updates the original file, so you can't use the mouse fix for Xp (by Mok).

Well, hopefully the "patched-floppy" version will behave in the next version of DosBox.