VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am having trouble running an old DOS game called "Star Trail" - it is the 2nd part of the "Realms of Arkania" trilogy.

When I try and run this game at the DOS prompt ("pure DOS 7"), this error message is displayed -

Your system only has -1024 Bytes free of memory EMS/XMS memory.

The problem here I think is that I have *too much* XMS (extended) memory, because my RAM is 512MB!

Do you think this might work -

To install some kind of RAMDisk program which will "use up" *a lot* of my XMS memory, so that when Star Trail runs, it detects much less XMS, and therefore its available memory calculation routine to see how much XMS memory there is does not make a silly calculation error?

Thanks for any thoughts, best regards, Robert.

Reply 2 of 7, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes thanks, DOSBox emulator works very well for this game.

However, I would also like to run this game on an old legacy machine (just for a bit of fun!), so I'm looking for a way to prevent the game's memory detection routine not to "overflow".

Thanks.

Reply 4 of 7, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've solved the problem!

I used himem.sys from a DOS 5 boot disk.

Then I used emm386.exe from a DOS 6 boot disk, and used it with the noems switch.

"Star Trail" is now happy using these settings.

Reply 5 of 7, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update - I ditched himem, and used jemmex instead, and I get much better results - much more memory available, and also "Star Trail" doesn't keep crashing too, which I'm sure you'll agree is a bit of a bonus! 😉

Reply 6 of 7, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I guess you solved it now. so...

But for the record, I remember playing this on a plain Win98(FE) machine (well, this one actually, on which I'm writing now), and can't recall these kinds of problems. Maybe I was lucky 😀

P2(Celeron@866mhz)) BX440 board, 512MB memory, and in a full DOS 'window' (via link on desktop). Granted, this wasn't the retail version(which I aqquired later), but some aban_donware one without the copyprot checks... Don't remember if I had to fiddle with the shortcut properties(memory), but believe not.
Anyway, it's deleted from hdd now, so I can't easily test it.

PS: come to think of it, there actually WAS something I had to do!
Hmm... memory(mine), not too much of it... eh..
Anyways, there were this fix that could be applied, not sure what it did(or what _I_ did), but it worked just fine after that.