VOGONS

Common searches

Newbie!!!

Topic actions

First post, by eTaurus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm a complete newbie here and I need help. I have a rather big collection of old DOS- Games and now I want to play them again. That is not a problem, because I have an old 486 running at home but I want to get rid of it.
My problem is to get games like "Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny" or "Knights of Xentar" running on my
AMD 2400 XP
Windows 2000 Prof.

I tried it with dosbox which is a very cool prog but because my PC is running with german keyboard settings I cannot type a backslash because under dosbox there is a mixture of german and american keyboard settings, a problem which is solved very fast for sure by an expert. But until this problem is not solved I cannot mount drives.

I also need an emulator for protected mode games.

It would be cool if someone could give me names of good progs and guides for them as well.

Reply 1 of 3, by Shade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
Nice to see another newbie like me around here.

About the dosbox problem, well I can only give you a detour kind of solution.
That would be using VDMSound, another kind of "dosbox" (well sort of)
Which you'll find here

There download and install VDMSound (version 2.0.4 uptade 2), and there also is a launchpad (VDMSLaunchPad.v1.0.1.1).

Once both are installed run the executable by right clicking on the icon and chooseing "Run with VDMS" (the one with the musical note for the Launchpad)

Hope it helps...

Reply 2 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox comes with a dosbox.conf file

this file you can edit in your windows version

at the bottom of this file there is a [autoexec] section
put there the commands you want to type

mount c c:\
mount d d:\