Common searches

Rayman 1

Topic actions

First post, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody,

I bought Rayman 2 and 3 months ago, and I just found Rayman 1, but I can't make it run under XP.

When I lauch the game, here's what I get (in french) :

" Sous-système MS-DOS 16 bits

D:\Jeux\Rayman\Rayman\Rayman.exe
X#=OD, CS=00C7 IP=00002018. Le processeur NTVDM a rencontré une exception non gérée. Choississez Fermer pour mettre fin Ã_ l'application "

and if I try to translate it must be :

" Sub-system MS-DOS 16 bits

D:\Jeux\Rayman\Rayman\Rayman.exe
X#=OD, CS=00C7 IP=00002018. The processor NTVDM has met an unmanaged/undealt (?) exeption. Choose Close to end the program. "

What's the trick ?
Is there a patch or something ?

"Your clones are very impressive..."
- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 1 of 31, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't remember if Rayman 1 was already a protected-mode game but you should try running it under DosBox first. In a nutshell: VDMSound ROCKS but NTVDM native support is somewhat lacking. Why just a 16MB limit for dpmi memory? I remember OS/2 VDM was way better.

Reply 2 of 31, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Er, yes, well... but what am I supposed to do ?...

I found it weird that there's no windows version of the game.
The compilation I have is called "Rayman Collector" and regroups the original game, the Fan levels, 60 more levels made by the creators and a level-editor.

But even if the interface is windows-like, the game is still running with dos... Hu, lack of efforts ? 😕

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 3 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR I don't remember if Rayman 1 was already a protected-mode game but you should try running it under DosBox first.

Rayman needs a minimum of a 486, so, yes it needs protected mode support.

Originally posted by Twinsen Er, yes, well... but what am I supposed to do ?...

Not much you can do at the moment.

I found it weird that there's no windows version of the game. The compilation I have is called "Rayman Collector" and regroups t […]
Show full quote

I found it weird that there's no windows version of the game.
The compilation I have is called "Rayman Collector" and regroups the original game, the Fan levels, 60 more levels made by the creators and a level-editor.

But even if the interface is windows-like, the game is still running with dos...

Quite annoyingly, they attached a windows interface for installing and running the DOS game, then called it their Windows version.

It's still a DOS game. The Windows bits are just there for installation, configuration, and as a "launch" menu.

This game doesn't like NT. I couldn't get it work properly:
showthread.php?threadid=804&highlight=Rayman

Reply 4 of 31, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I see only three ways out for now :

- Either there's a Win32 patch to make Rayman run under XP. Maybe it does exist. If anyone knows anything about this, I'd be glad to be informed... Thanks ! 😀

- Either I try with Dosbox.

- Either I create a dual boot, but I'm afraid of it...

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 5 of 31, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Twinsen, Using DosBox won't serve any real purpose here because DosBox is unable to run protected mode games right now (DOS4GW and the lot).
An easy way to do it it's to just boot from a ms-dos floppy or booteable CD. Biggest problem in doing this is that you haven't VDMSound under DOS and if you have a newer PCI sound-card or an onboard one, you might be getting no sound at all. I guess you already know this. Some cards have some sort of SB emulation under DOS. Check yours.
And Good Luck

Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2003-08-03, 09:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 31, by MadRat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For reasons I can't explain I can get Rayman 1 to run on my Windows XP system. Microsoft was strangly nice enough to mail me a DVD-ROM with SP1a on it which I installed. Before the installing SP1a, Rayman 1 ran so fast it was unplayable. After installing SP1a and all recomended Windows XP updates it runs very smoothly at the correct speed. I run it in a full screen, DOS window.
The only problem I'm having is complete lack of sound. 😠 Yes I have VDMSound and I put the following information in when I ran sndcard.exe...

220h [port] (sndcard reports this as 550/220h)
1 [DMA]
7 [IRQ]

-MadRat *squeek!*

Reply 9 of 31, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MadRat wrote:
For reasons I can't explain I can get Rayman 1 to run on my Windows XP system. Microsoft was strangly nice enough to mail me a […]
Show full quote

For reasons I can't explain I can get Rayman 1 to run on my Windows XP system. Microsoft was strangly nice enough to mail me a DVD-ROM with SP1a on it which I installed. Before the installing SP1a, Rayman 1 ran so fast it was unplayable. After installing SP1a and all recomended Windows XP updates it runs very smoothly at the correct speed. I run it in a full screen, DOS window.
The only problem I'm having is complete lack of sound. 😠 Yes I have VDMSound and I put the following information in when I ran sndcard.exe...

220h [port] (sndcard reports this as 550/220h)
1 [DMA]
7 [IRQ]

-MadRat *squeek!*

Er, could you mail me those things you had from Microsoft ? Maybe it would work on my Pc too.

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 10 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by MadRat For reasons I can't explain I can get Rayman 1 to run on my Windows XP system.

Well, I can get the demo running. It's just that missing audio is fairly significant. Also, I'm not sure if the full version would run as well.

I never got the speed problem you mentioned. Not running SP1 yet.

Will try to find my CD(s) and try again.

Reply 11 of 31, by MadRat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the full version, which runs. I didn't know there was a demo of Rayman 1.

To get the updates from Microsoft just go to Start, All Programs, Windows Update or start Internet Explorer and in the menu bar choose Tools then Windows Update.

I also tried DOSbox and still no sound. When I run sndcard.exe it reported 0's in all the settings even after I'd set them before. Maybe that's part of the problem?

-MadRat <:3( )~~~

Reply 12 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut Will try to find my CD(s) and try again.

Found my "SmartSaver" version and found that I could get it running properly except for two things:

1) The CD-audio didn't work, even with "low-level CD-ROM support".
2) I did experience seemingly random speed-increases.

For audio, I've found that disabling low-level support and using the latest version of SAPUCDEX instead seems to cure the CD-audio problem.

Sometimes the game played at normal speed, other times it went into turbo mode; but it wasn't consistent. I believe the fix for this would be to use the limiter on the VLP file.

Right-click the VLP file and choose Properties, click the Advanced button, click on the Performance tab, then click the box by "Cap DOS Timer frequency". Click OK, then click OK again.

That should prevent "turbo mode".

This appears to make game play the way it should in XP.

Reply 13 of 31, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded SP1 and all XP uptades, but I still can't manage to run Rayman 1 under XP... (I still have the MS-DOS 16 bits sub-system error)
I'm going bersek with it... Why can you make it run under XP and me not ????

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 14 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen still can't manage to run Rayman 1 under XP... (I still have the MS-DOS 16 bits sub-system error)
I'm going bersek with it... Why can you make it run under XP and me not ????

Could be a number of things: processor, copy-protection,... If you are getting a "16-bit subsystem" error, then your problems are probably beyond audio.

Try configuring the game to run with no sound at all and then try running it (without VDMSound). Do you still get the "16-bit subsystem" error?

Reply 15 of 31, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just configured the game with no sound card, but I still have the same error window as described before...

I really don't understand why it can work on your XP while it can't on mine... I mean : it is meant to be the same, isn't it ???

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 16 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen I just configured the game with no sound card, but I still have the same error window as described before...

Do you get the problem with other DOS programs as well? It might be something like this , although that seems only to relate to installation.

If your XP is fully updated, then it might be a case of not having administrator's rights, kind of the reverse of this problem.

If you are running a non-English version of XP, I suggest you check Microsoft's Knowledge database for your language's version to make sure the information is the same.

I really don't understand why it can work on your XP while it can't on mine... I mean : it is meant to be the same, isn't it

"Meant to be" doesn't mean it is the same. I also have "Rayman Forever" and I've yet to try this method with that version.

Sometimes though, these things are just a mystery. This is why companies like Interplay won't even attempt to support titles on XP.

Reply 17 of 31, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, this is the only dos program where this probleme occurs.
And I'm the only one user on my computer, so I must be the administrator...

I have a french version of XP. I'll check the database and try to edit the registry...

I'll report here next.

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 18 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen And I'm the only one user on my computer, so I must be the administrator...

Well, you should be, but I wouldn't presume. Hrrmm. Need a quick-and-easy check for Admin's rights...

Reply 19 of 31, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As an alternative to trying to get the PC version to work, you could try to acquire the Playstation version and emulate it. Possibly better graphics, and the music handled a little differently. (Lots of short looped tracks, rather than one track per theme area, ie. the one track for all of Band Land.)

You won't have to worry about speed regulation that way, but you will have to get the emulator properly configured. Or, if you happen to have a real system, that's even better.

This is how I got my preferred Sonic CD experience. Downloaded data track combined with the audio tracks ripped from Sonic PC. (Also a learning experience, as the "P" mix tracks are not used by the original, as it synthesizes them with the Sega CD's 8 channel PCM chip.)

Sorry if this is not helpful.