VOGONS

Common searches

Rayman 1

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I checked : I'm the administrator.

I also tried to modify the registry but it has no effect...

I'm seriously considering to get the Playstation disc and emulate it...

"Your clones are very impressive..."
- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 21 of 31, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd have to say I was a bit disappointed with my PC version as well.

It was marketed as requiring Windows 95, but of course its still a DOS version.

The game is only speed regulated if you turn on vsync. Otherwise, it runs out of control. I wondered why I was having trouble getting past more than the first few levels... (On my old system, it ran about 25% too fast)

They also managed to botch the audio tracks. They were mastered with RIFF INFO chunks on the ends, causing audible clicks before each repeat.

If you do seek out the Playstation version from sources other than your local game sales or rental shop, be sure to test before wasting a CD.

Sort of off-topic, I love the person who submitted this info to Gracenote.

Reply 22 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by Twinsen When I lauch the game, here's what I get (in french) : " Sous-système MS-DOS 16 bits D:\Jeux\Raym […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Twinsen When I lauch the game, here's what I get (in french) :

" Sous-système MS-DOS 16 bits

D:\Jeux\Rayman\Rayman\Rayman.exe
X#=OD, CS=00C7 IP=00002018. Le processeur NTVDM a rencontré une exception non gérée. Choississez Fermer pour mettre fin ß l'application "

Well, well, well...three holes in the ground. It's also a phrase expressing a fascinating discovery. In this case, a bad one.

I found my "Rayman Forever" CD. "Rayman Forever" is actually a compilation of "Rayman", "Rayman Designer", and "Rayman By His Fans". All are DOS programs with Windows tools sometimes being used (like the map-making tool for "Rayman Designer").

Results weren't encouraging for "Rayman Designer" and "Rayman By His Fans". Both reported the following with VDMSound:

CD ROM's Initialization. Please install MSCDEX v 2.1 or above. - press ESC to quit, - press SPACE to play rayman in limited mode […]
Show full quote

CD ROM's Initialization.
Please install MSCDEX v 2.1 or above.
- press ESC to quit,
- press SPACE to play rayman in limited mode and without music.

Attempting to run without audio (and without VDMSound) resulted in:

Corrupted CD-ROM driver (MSCDEX).

Using SAPUCDEX allowed me to get past the MSCDEX error. Seemed to work fine, right up to the point where it loads the game level and starts...there, it dies without comment.

EDIT/UPDATE
Went back and while fiddling with settings, I found that if I chose "No sound card" and ran it with "low-level CD support" (NT's standard MSCDEX) it would start up, but would then fail because there was "Not enough memory"!

Now THAT makes a whole heck of a lot of no stinking sense....

Trying to run the standard Rayman from "Rayman Forever" was the real eye-opener. It resulted in the error you see in the image attached to this post. Twinsen should recognize it as the English version of the same message that he has been getting.

Very, very interesting. So UbiSoft apparently had more than one version of the "basic" RayMan. Unfortunately, that effectively kills any chance of running it in XP without full emulation.

Originally posted by kode54 They also managed to botch the audio tracks. They were mastered with RIFF INFO chunks on the ends, causing audible clicks before each repeat.

Will have to check mine to see if they are the same way.

If you do seek out the Playstation version from sources other than your local game sales or rental shop, be sure to test before wasting a CD.

My main grumble with collecting Ps1 games are that, like many other console games; they seem to want to milk every possible penny they can from sales. I rarely see console game CD's for less than . Even then, they seem to be "less popular" titles and often "abused".

Of course, I am a cheapskate.

Sort of off-topic, I love the person who submitted this info to Gracenote.

*heh* Better than the Blink182 listing it chose for my "Rayman Forever" CD.

Attachments

• raymanforever-error.gif
    Filename
    raymanforever-error.gif
    File size
    11.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 31, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes Nicht, this is the same window error I get in french...

---
I managed to run Rayman, with no sound at all for now, with a boot disk.

There's a french web site : ShinoD7, which has concieved a "simplified" boot disk, to play DOS games (which can't be run even with VDMS) under XP.

So, after installing the boot disc and so forth, Rayman runs and never crashes (for now), but I can't manage to set the audio plugin for my sound card... Argh !

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 24 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen There's a french web site : ShinoD7, which has concieved a "simplified" boot disk, to play DOS games (which can't be run even with VDMS) under XP.

The problem isn't VDMSound, it's the NTVDM of 2000 and XP. If the program can't even run in XP, then it can't run with VDMSound.

So, after installing the boot disc and so forth, Rayman runs and never crashes (for now), but I can't manage to set the audio plugin for my sound card... Argh !

Yes, the "poor man's dual-boot" works but, as you have discovered, getting audio is still an issue.

There appear to be DOS-compatible drivers, but that they require Windows 98 to work ("Soundblaster Pro" with a command prompt).

There appear to be "true" DOS drivers, but they are only for YMF724, YMF740, YMF744, YMF754 models. You might try running AIDA32 to find out more info about your PC.

Reply 25 of 31, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I checked with Aida32, and I do have a Yamaha AC-XG. You're right, the only driver which can work with it require Win98.
And there's no true DOS drivers for my sound card...

The audio plugin for the AC-XG is AC97. This one is proposed on ShinoD7 ("son" section). But even by using it correctly under th DOS boot, I still get no sound...

Hum, maybe there's a lack of driver ? Maybe the Win98 driver works under DOS ?? Maybe I'm getting crazy step by step...

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 26 of 31, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Twinsen wrote:

Well, I checked with Aida32, and I do have a Yamaha AC-XG. You're right, the only driver which can work with it require Win98.
And there's no true DOS drivers for my sound card...

I can help here.

I need to know:
1. Your precise AC97 chip. Which AC-XG is it?
YMF724, YMF740, YMF744, YMF754, etc.
AIDA32 will not tell you this. I recommend you open your PC case and look at the chips for something that says Yamaha or AC97 or something.
2. Your motherboard chipset. AIDA32 should be able to tell you this. If not, you can also look on your motherboard for the chips. Manufacturers will be Intel, SIS, VIA, or something.

Reply 28 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen ...and my Yamaha is YMF753.

Then it sounds like DOS-level support isn't possible. If you want DOS audio, you will need to:

1) Install Win98
or
2) Disable the built-in audio and install a sound card with "true" DOS support.

Reply 29 of 31, by Twinsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

...you will need to disable the built-in audio and install a sound card with "true" DOS support.

Er, what do you mean by that ? Buy a new sound card and remove the ancient one from the computer ?

This way, I just can't... Don't forget that my computer is a portable...

Seems like I'm doomed to create a dual boot... 🙁

- 'Want to see mine ?

Reply 30 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Twinsen Buy a new sound card and remove the ancient one from the computer ?

Well, actually, most built-in audio devices will either have a BIOS option to disable them or will automatically disable themselves when you install a new sound device.

Don't forget that my computer is a portable...

Sorry. Forgot that.

Seems like I'm doomed to create a dual boot...

It's actually a good thing... just a major pain if you don't start from scratch.