VOGONS

Common searches

Confused..Old games + Mac = playable?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by poter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

alright ppl first off i have to say im sorry, im newb 101 here about all this stuff. this may be a stupid question, but i have a few old pc games (compatible to windows 95, 98, xp, stuff like that) and i recently bought a mac. So what i was wondering is if i download dosbox for mac can i play these games (that are compatible to windows 95..etc.) on my mac? or is there a website that will allow me to download a certain program where i can play these old games on my mac..or do i gotta buy each game again for a mac version? If you're curious on what games they are, they are American Mgee's Alice, Simpson's Cartoon Studio, and Monkey Island 4: Escape From Monkey Island.

Reply 2 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I think you need to install a full virtual PC on your Mac.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 4, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are a few options, but since those are Windows games, DOSBox wouldn't be one of those options.

VMWare Fusion allows you to run Windows in a virtual machine inside OS X. It works well for applications that I have tried such as Visio which does not have an OS X equivalent, but I haven't tried gaming using it. The latest version is supposed to have DirectX support but some features might not be fully implemented. A trial is available so you can always see it it will work, though you will need a copy of Windows too. There are also a couple others similar to this too, Parallels and Virtual Box, the latter being open source.
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

BootCamp lets you run a dual boot system. It will automatically partition your hard drive and allow you to boot between OS X and Windows. It comes standard with Leopard. You will also need a copy of Windows with this method, as well as having to dedicate some hard drive space to the Windows partition.

There is also a program called Crossover Gaming that allows you to run Windows games on a Mac. It does not require a copy of Windows, but compatibility is less than the other methods. I believe it has a free trial as well.
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

Bootcamp would be the most compatible. My son has his MacBook Pro partitioned with it and can run even the latest games at playable speeds, though with the visuals and resolution turned down.