VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Greeny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using Mok modified .exe I had previously got SS working fine. However I suffered a random crash when I hadn't saved for ages and stopped playing for a while. Now it no longer works: The screen goes black for half a second then goes back to the desktop.

I've tried a fresh install, with and without the modified .exe, tried running NOLFB.com (from full-screen command prompt) and DOS4GW.exe (various versions)
the .bat file looks like:
@echo off
nolfb.com
dos4gw.exe cdshock.exe

I've tried disabling sound and trying various combinations of the above but I can't even get to the intro/main menu.

System specs:
XP Pro
AMD XP 2100
512 MB RAM

OK so what should I try next
😕

Reply 1 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Greeny OK so what should I try next

Seppuku?

Ok, that was a terrible thing to say.... sorry.

Honestly, every time I think I've heard of the most bizarre, illogical event with their PC, I hear something like this? A fresh install should've purged any problems that you had.

All I can suggest is the minimalist approach: Forget NOLFB and VDMSound and try to get it running with no audio at 320x200; then proceed from there.

Reply 2 of 7, by simmschn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have managed to get System Shock running on my Windows XP system, but I have still a very annoying problem. After a few minutes of playing my character starts to move in certain directions, but I did not press any movement keys.
My first idea was that this is a joystick problem, but the joystick was already disabled in setup.
Has someone any ideas? Thanks.

Reply 3 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's possible that NTVDM cannot keep up or could be Idle Sensitivity. (Doubt it).

Try SS under Connectix VPC and see if it does the same behavior.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 7, by simmschn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Try SS under Connectix VPC and see if it does the same behavior.

Sorry, there is a misunderstanding. I am running System Shock in a "real" Windows XP environment on a x86 CPU. Connectix, a virtual PC emulator for MAC computers, is no help for me. 🙁

Reply 5 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by simmschn I have managed to get System Shock running on my Windows XP system, but I have still a very annoying problem. After a few minutes of playing my character starts to move in certain directions, but I did not press any movement keys.

Hrrmm. Sounds like stuck key syndrome.

Reply 6 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
simmschn wrote:

Sorry, there is a misunderstanding. I am running System Shock in a "real" Windows XP environment on a x86 CPU. Connectix, a virtual PC emulator for MAC computers, is no help for me. 🙁

🤣. The newest, now old incarnation of VPC (VPC 5+) Came out first for PC's, then the MAC ver was released soon after. The PC ver was a great help before DosBox started to become more compatible. In some cases it still is since the PC ver does not emulate the processor but does emulate the rest of the PC which in some cases is desirable.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline