VOGONS

Common searches

mom/moo

Topic actions

First post, by el pancho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any classic lover will have recognized master of magic and master of orion, these old yet excellent microprose games.
Old enough in fact, for them not to run on my computer.
When I try, it sez dat i dont have enough conventionnal memory, and that at least 581 k are needed, or something like that.
I'm no programming pro, but if someone could just tell me how to free conventional memory, i'd be pretty happy to have a chance to play these two classics again.

Reply 2 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Problems like these sound like a W9x thing.

I made a boot disk a looong time ago to resolve these problems by booting into pure DOS with, IIRC, 603KB conventional RAM.

Okay, I just spent about 10 minutes searching through all my disks, and it was the LAST ONE. *groan*

Anyway, let me really quickly make up some new batch scripts to ease the process, and I'll post it all here.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Administrator wrote:

Okay, I just spent about 10 minutes searching through all my disks, and it was the LAST ONE.

Ever notice, that when something falls, it breaks on the _last_ bounce?

Reply 4 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What, like my Palm? 😉

Okay, I finally finished this batch script. It took a bit, but I did it.
I couldn't really thoroughly test it, since I'm on a W2K box, but it should do the trick.

Remember to edit the AUTOEXEC.DOS file.
I provided Microsoft Mouse drivers and OAKCDROM.SYS (although, for whatever reason, I didn't need to use it to get my CD-ROM running in DOS, which is weird, and I can't figure it out, but whatever). Anyway, the AUTOEXEC.DOS file is for a SBLive! card. (Oh, and this should still give you enough memory even with two CD-ROM drives.)

Perhaps if there's enough good response to this file, I'll make a separate batch script to help facilitate writing an AUTOEXEC.DOS file. (The CONFIG.SYS doesn't need to be touched.)

Don't forget to read the disclaimer. I'm not about to be held responsible for data loss, I provided ample opportunity to back things up, and I'm not modifying things other than \AUTOEXEC.BAT and \CONFIG.SYS and some files created by my bat file. And, while it'll RUN in W2K, it won't DO anything, so I've added a safecatch to prevent people from using it on W2K. (It'll work fine on dual-boot systems, since you have to specify the drive.)

And, you'll have to excuse my post, it's after 2 and I'm tired. (heh)

Attachments

• Filename
    2doswin.zip
    File size
    76.93 KiB
    Downloads
    636 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 6, by Pasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to bother you all, but I'm trying to use abandonloader (http://abandonloader.gamport.net/) to run mom and moo on a not too new (~2 year old) system that is running on NTv4.00.1381 (so i couldn't use the batch file). I'm getting the following error when I try to run abandonloader: "The procedure entry point SHGetSpecialFolderPathA could not be located in the dynamic link library SHELL32.dll." Any suggestions? Thanks,
-Pasty

Reply 6 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like NT4 is just too old to run it and SHELL32.DLL doesn't have all the code that the SHELL32.DLL in other versions of Windows has. Try contacting the creator, unless someone else here has NT4 and can vouch for its ability to run.

Yes, it’s my fault.