VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Marko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

so far I tested a lot of my win games for compatibility with xp and the result is not so bad but now I'm coming to the dos section and as you might guess the problem is the sound and the memory.

I have a PCI sound card (sb16 pci) and i made a dos boot disk. Everything is fine except the sound. Because I have a pci card i need to install an sb emulator (sbinit.com) this emulator only installs when emm memory is present. The only way i found to enable emm is by installing emm386.....now sound is fine BUT some games running in dpmi mode (using dos4/gw) are not running with emm provided by emm386.
I have tried to install qemm ver.8 to avoid this problem but qemm causes other mistakes.....

so here's my question: are there any freeware memory managers which provide dpmi support or are there any sb emulators which doesn't need emm386 or are there any other ways to avoid these problems?

Games not running the way I tried (so far): psychic detective and creature shock.

Reply 1 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think you can find emms drivers in Freedos.

I believe they work under regular dos as well.

You could try adding NOVCPI to your emm386 commandline btw.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 2, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Marko are there any freeware memory managers which provide dpmi support or are there any sb emulators which doesn't need emm386 or are there any other ways to avoid these problems?

If you are running a Celeron or P2-P4 processor (and you are lucky), UMBPCI might be able to help you out. Be aware that PCI soundcards are inherently less compatible than ISA models. For some titles, that means nothing less than full emulation of a PC system will do.

For older 386 titles, DosBox is worth a try. It doesn't have protected-mode support yet, but it is coming...

For more recent 486 and Pentium titles...there will be trouble. For the DPMI titles, I would try them in a command prompt within Windows and troubleshoot them individually.