Common searches

DOS emulator

Topic actions

First post, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would it be feasable and/or easy to make a DOS emulator that:

- emulated graphics modes (or allow Direct I/O)
- emulated ISA sound (such as VDMSound but for the shell only)

- operated off your existing CPU but you could slow your CPU down when nessessary (alternative to emulation)
- operated on your system memory(alternative to emulation)

would it be easier then DOSbox since it emulates an entire PC which takes processor power out of your PC?

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 1 of 3, by DjLc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm stupid or i don't understand the question ?

"emulated graphics modes (or allow Direct I/O)"

--> it's in wip, they try to emulate a true card wich support vesa modes and such others features.

"emulated ISA sound (such as VDMSound but for the shell only)"

--> ??? what do you mean by the shell only ? doxbox already do that...

"operated off your existing CPU but you could slow your CPU down when nessessary" and "operated on your system memory(alternative to emulation)"

--> hmm... unable to see what u want ? dosbox could slow/fast the cpu emulation if you want. and for the memory, if you have 512mb of ram i don't see the point to use this for dos app (only 640kb etc... etc... ^^)

Make a "bridge" to your specific hardware with dosbox is nonsense imho. Oh yes, i hear some people who want use their 3dfx with Dos's POD version :p but.... so someone is needed to write DOSBoxHLE 1.0 ^^ with Glide support ^^ 🤣 but HLEing under dos... i dunno if it's possible

Reply 2 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Duffman Would it be feasable and/or easy to make a DOS emulator that:

- emulated graphics modes (or allow Direct I/O)

Both? Those are two very different methods. Who would be crazy enough to even try it? It would be like trying run a mish-mash of DosBox with VMWare.

- emulated ISA sound (such as VDMSound but for the shell only)

I'm like DjLc...I don't understand the question here.

- operated off your existing CPU but you could slow your CPU down when nessessary (alternative to emulation)

*blech* That would effectively be the same thing as use those "slowdown" programs...and cause the same unpleasant side-effects as they do.

- operated on your system memory(alternative to emulation)

Why? I don't get this one either...

Originally posted by DjLc Make a "bridge" to your specific hardware with dosbox is nonsense imho. Oh yes, i hear some people who want use their 3dfx with Dos's POD version :p but.... so someone is needed to write DOSBoxHLE 1.0 ^^ with Glide support ^^ 🤣 but HLEing under dos... i dunno if it's possible

Actually, that's very close to what Paul's GliDOS does. Except, that POD is a Windows title, IIRC.

Reply 3 of 3, by DjLc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Actually, that's very close to what Paul's GliDOS does. Except, that POD is a Windows title, IIRC.

Err... Sorry for the error about DOS Pod version 😀