VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mike_sharp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I have just found this community of getting older games to run on newer systems.

I am having woes with 2 of my favourite dos adventures and trying to get them to run on my system.

The games are both by take 2 interactive.

They are ripper and hell.

I can run ripper with either no vdmsound but compatibility mode options 640x480 and 256 colours selected and the /v switches that are available with the ripper patch and have perfect graphics but the sound as its being directly emulated by xp in the 220, 5,1 parameters is extremely choppy and I can hardly understand a word.

Whereas if I run ripper with vdmsound the sound plays fine but the graphics are all messed up with the screen all garbled beyond recognition. I have tried tweaking the vdmsound launchpad setting with basic vesa support etc to no avail.

As for Hell. This game is very tempremental it loads ok with vdmsound but the graphics are garbled like the aformentioned ripper problem but without vdmsound it will not load at all no matter what compatibility settings i use.

Both games will cause a system crash related to my graphics card if they are not quitted properly or the hotkeys are used to exit them.

If anyone is able to help me I would gladdly appricate it.

Mike 🙄

SYSTEM SPECS:
Intel Pentium 4 1.8GHZ
Intel D845gerg2 Motherboard
Intel 82845g Graphics Controller
Sound Max Digital Integrated Audio
256 MB Ram
40GB NTFS HDD
52x CD-Rom drive
Windows XP Pro SP1

Reply 1 of 4, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

#1. Compatibility modes are for WINDOWS PROGRAMS ONLY.
#2. Make sure you are using the VDMSound Launchpad.
#3. VDMSound runs at I/O 220h, IRQ 7, DMA 1, HDMA 5.
#4. I've run Ripper fine as have many other people, so chances are you are doing something wrong.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by mike_sharp They are ripper and hell.

Hrrmm. Ripper seems to run fine for some, but not for others:
showthread.php?threadid=263&highlight=Ripper
showthread.php?threadid=939

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find previous posts about "Hell" (apparently being used to describe a situation instead of the game...quite often).

Mobygames identifies it as a Windows title, but IIRC it was just a DOS program with a Windows "launcher". I believe both were SVGA/Vesa-only so the NT-VESA issue may be playing a role in some situations, but apparently not here.

Whereas if I run ripper with vdmsound the sound plays fine but the graphics are all messed up with the screen all garbled beyond recognition.

Hrmm. First I've heard of this mix.

I have tried tweaking the vdmsound launchpad setting with basic vesa support etc to no avail.

Have you applied the updates and are you using the latest Launchpad?
showthread.php?threadid=1226

Also, the "vesa support" in VDMSound simply refers to having the command prompt go full-screen before it starts the game.

As for Hell. This game is very tempremental it loads ok with vdmsound but the graphics are garbled like the aformentioned ripper problem but without vdmsound it will not load at all no matter what compatibility settings i use.

Like Snover said, the compatibility settings in XP are for Windows titles, so don't expect them to do much for DOS programs.

On-board video doesn't inspire confidence...hrmm

Windows XP Pro SP1

Hrmm...SP1 again.

Let's try this. Scitech has UniVBE v6.7 for DOS available at:
http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/enterpris … ree_titles.html

Download and install that. In whatever directory you place it, it will contain these files:
README.TXT
UNICENTR.EXE
UNIVBE.EXE
UVCONFIG.EXE
VBETEST.EXE

The only files you will using are the README and VBETEST.EXE.

Start up a command line and run VBETEST and try out some of the various video tests. If it locks up, Ctrl-Alt-Delete, then kill ("End Task") the command prompt.

When you start up VBETEST, it should come up with text like this:

OEM string: IBM SVGA BIOS, (C) 1993 International Business Machines Version: VBE 1.2 with 4096 Kb memory […]
Show full quote

OEM string: IBM SVGA BIOS, (C) 1993 International Business Machines
Version: VBE 1.2 with 4096 Kb memory

Select test to perform:

[0] - Interactive Tests
[Q] - Quit

You then select zero for Interactive tests:

Select color mode to test: […]
Show full quote

Select color mode to test:

[0] - 4 bits per pixel modes [3] - 16 bits per pixel modes
[1] - 8 bits per pixel modes [4] - 24 bits per pixel modes
[2] - 15 bits per pixel modes [5] - 32 bits per pixel modes
[6] - Text modes
[Q] - Quit

Then select 1 for 8 bits per pixel modes (it's also a good idea to test for 16 bits and 24 bits later):

Which 8 bit video mode to test: [0] - 640x400x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear […]
Show full quote

Which 8 bit video mode to test:

[0] - 640x400x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear
[1] - 640x480x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear
[2] - 800x600x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear
[3] - 1024x768x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear

Test modes like these to see what kind of response you get. The 640x480x8 modes are the most important as they are the most commonly used.

Also, if your game is installed on a FAT or FAT32 partition, you might try going to: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and grabbing the Windows 98 OEM bootdisk file. You just stick a blank floppy in your drive and double-click the boot98.exe to create a Win98 bootdisk. Delete the Drvspace.bin file off of the floppy and copy the VBETEST.EXE file from your UniVBE directory.

Now boot from that floppy and run VBETEST. I'm willing to bet that you will find that some tests pass that would not under XP.

Reply 4 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by mike_sharp I have managed to get ripper working if i boot XP into VGA mode

!! Well that's an unusual method but if it works for you...

i will just have to play hell on my old dos machine in the garage.

I'm guessing that VGA mode didn't work for this title? Hrmm. Need to find mine and test it...