VOGONS

Common searches

EcoQuest I Error 4 in dosbox 0.72

Topic actions

First post, by Fender_178

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im currently trying to complete this game with the full 725 points but im running into a problem. (im currently at 341 of 725 points) and Im playing under dosbox 0.72. Whenever I try to enter the other apartments the game gives this error saying Oops "You did something that we werent expecting. Whatever it was you dont need to do it to finish the game. Try taking a different approach to the situation."Error 4 then it gives an Sci version number. Any Ideas on what this even means. I never gotten this error message before. Im running the Cd-rom version.

I have tried all the troubleshooting stuff that I could think of to no avail. Like Switching the sound card driver. Lowering the volume and detail to zero and messing with the dosbox cycles. And reinstalling the game But none of that worked. Including trying running the game with VMDsound.

Reply 1 of 22, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

How long do you need to re-reach that point from a new game? If it's fast,
or you can load an older savegame: try starting loadfix before starting the
game and see if the error vanishes.

Reply 2 of 22, by Fender_178

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope the loadfix command didnt work. Im going to try starting all over again from scratch and see what happens from there. It shouldnt take me that long to get back to where I was at when the error was occurring.

Reply 3 of 22, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Nope the loadfix command didnt work.

Well my idea was a corrupted savegame, thus loadfix alone would NOT work.
But restarting the game, you should assure you load loadfix before the game
for testing (create a batch file that does that or so).

Reply 8 of 22, by Fender_178

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well Im reporting back to say I got the error message even with the loadfix command activated and I even started over from the beginning. I still dont know what the cause is.

and im going to post my saved game to see if anyone could trigger the error or not. http://savefile.com/projects/808732267

Reply 9 of 22, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You/somebody who can reproduce it as well might want to try the save
game on a real pc, or on a diskimage inside dosbox (msdos or freedos)
or bochs. This way you could spot (or rule out) that dosbox is at fault.

Reply 10 of 22, by Fender_178

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I tried running the dos version of the game under win98 but it still gave the error msg. I might just try that imgmount command with a hard drive. Also i might try running a Virtual PC running dos 6.22 and see if that works if i can get the sound working and a cd-rom drive working as well. I also tried running the game under the command prompt that xp uses and I still got the error message. So I dont know what is at fault. Im sorta convinced that its not a dosbox issue but im not entirely sure unless some one else other than me gets the same error message.

Also if you go through the game without getting all of the points up to the part Im having trouble with currently the game runs fine under dosbox.

Reply 14 of 22, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My site has all of the available patches for the Sierra SCI games and many of the Sierra family games. The only patch for the EcoQuest games is the updated SoundBlaster driver. I'm not sure if I will be able to use your save file. the CD version that I have is 1.1. You have 1.001.064. The Sierra save games are very version specific. I'll check it out this weekend. BTW, you didn't post the catalog file with the save game. If you don't have it, I guess I can make a new one.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 15 of 22, by Fender_178

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

My site has all of the available patches for the Sierra SCI games and many of the Sierra family games. The only patch for the EcoQuest games is the updated SoundBlaster driver. I'm not sure if I will be able to use your save file. the CD version that I have is 1.1. You have 1.001.064. The Sierra save games are very version specific. I'll check it out this weekend. BTW, you didn't post the catalog file with the save game. If you don't have it, I guess I can make a new one.

I posted it as a separate file and not together with the saved game file if you look at the site where I uploaded the saved game you can see there are 2 files there. But the version file says I have version 1.1.

Reply 17 of 22, by tsampikos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Τhis message ist the most famous Sierra bug. It appears in many games. I have the cd version too but haven't played it yet.The bug appears mostly when the player is trying to do something, which the game programmers and testers didn't come up to.No idea though why is this happening with eco quest.It could possibly be either a buggy version or that the older CD version was problematic and that Sierra fixed the bug with a new improved version of the game.

Reply 18 of 22, by Fender_178

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm heres something interesting. Well a while back I installed Windows 3.11 under dosbox so I decided to install the windows version of EcoQuest and bam I was able to complete the game without getting that error message.