VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Doofyspoothead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks all for helping i finally got it to work!! Talk to ya soon 😀

Last edited by Doofyspoothead on 2003-08-23, 19:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 2, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Doofyspoothead I installed that nolfb thingie into the redneck rampage file inside intrplay folder (i think that's where i'm supposed to put it)

You put it either:

A) in a system pathway where the OS can always "see" it without having to define it's specific location (Such as the Windows directory).
or
B) any location you want, so long as you remember to type it's pathway each time you run it (so if it's in C:\UTILS, you would need to type out C:\UTILS\NOLFB each time it is run).
or
C) place a copy of NOLFB in each game directory that you think might need it.

... then typed in nolfb.com then opened another command prompt window

Here is where you veered off course. Each command prompt is treated by the OS as a "Virtual DOS Machine" (VDM-a rather inaccurate name considering how poor it's DOS-compatibility is...). So each is like it's own PC. You started NOLFB in one, then tried to start RedneckRampage in the other. That will never work. NOLFB has to be in the same "environment" as the game to work.

...and followed the same steps to get to the redneck base folder and typed in RR.EXE and then it's supposed to work from there and the little command prompt window acts like it's going to run the game and all and then it starts up the game but i get no game!

BTW, this is good time to point out the minimalist method of trouble-shooting. [EDIT]...or not. I forgot that Redneck Rampage likes to do "special things" at startup. Hrrm...modified it a bit.

Go back to your game directory and start up the SETUP program. Choose "None" for both Sound Effects (you'll get back to it later). Switch to video settings (Screen setup) and choose 320x200 video mode. It will warn you not to use that mode. Shake your fist angrily at the screen, declaring your outrage that it should dare question your authority...then press ESC twice and choose "Yes" at the "Save settings" window.

Now, presuming you have installed VDMSound, you want to create a VLP shortcut.

Edit your RAMPAGE.BAT file (it is presently useless in XP) by right-clicking on it and choosing EDIT. Delete all of the text in the file (easiest way? Press Ctrl+A, then press DEL or Delete). Now edit your RAMPAGE.BAT file to contain the following:

NOLFB.COM
RR.EXE

Right-click on RAMPAGE.BAT again and this time choose
"MusicNotes.pngRun with VDMSound" (be sure to select the one with the musical notes icon). Hopefully the game intro should start and you should be able to start and run the game (in 320x200 and in silence). If not, you have major problems.

If so, quit and close the window it leaves open. Now you will have a RAMPAGE.VLP file (the VLP extension may not be visible, but if your files are listed in "Detail" mode it will be identified as a "VDMSound Shortcut".

Go back into setup and try choosing a basic SoundBlaster for audio and match it settings with those of VDMSound:
port = 0x220 ; usually 0x220 (can also be 210, 230, 240, 250, 260 or 280)
IRQ = 7 ; usually 5 or 7
DMA8 = 1 ; usually 1
DMA16 = 5 ; usually 5

Keep the number of voices and the quality settings low. Quit the setup program again and save settings (do NOT start the game from here). Here we run into a glitch with the shortcut.
[EDIT/UPDATE] Nevermind. If you already have VDMSound v2.04, I suggest you uninstall VDMSound 2.04 and install v2.10

Still, there is valuable info in the Problem Children thread, in the BUILD games post (RR is a BUILD game). They can be a pain. Anyway, now run your RAMPAGE.VLP shortcut again. You should get the game again, but this time with sound. If so, go back to the SETUP program again and choose 640x480 for your screen resolution and save the settings. Hopefully, you'll now have 640x480 video with audio.