VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anybody tried putting two videocards (pci+agp) together on the same machine? Running WinXP, BTW. Will it work? HOW? How can you switch from one to the other? via "init display first" in bios?
I just want to try this as I've got some PCI cards lying around, even some Cirrus Logic ones. Do I need two monitors?
Suggestions are appreciated.
Most modern AGP cards just have poor DOS backwards compatibility, specially my GF4, which utterly suxx in this regard.

Reply 1 of 3, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dumb Question: What about a voodoo2? I have them running SLI on my machine and 99% of my old games run fine on it! Of course that won't salve VESA problem will it?
Tooo little coffee to be coherent...

Reply 2 of 3, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Has anybody tried putting two videocards (pci+agp) together on the same machine?

Yes, and it works just fine.

Running WinXP, BTW. Will it work? HOW? How can you switch from one to the other? via "init display first" in bios?

The BIOS setting will control which card is used to show the boot messages, and this card will (or at least should) be the first one to be used by Windows XP. After you setup Windows to use two cards you can select which one will be your primary display (the task bar will appear only in the primary one), and although I have never tested I believe this will be the one used by full screen programs.

I just want to try this as I've got some PCI cards lying around, even some Cirrus Logic ones. Do I need two monitors?

Yes, unless you want to shuffle cables all the time.

By the way, you can also have two (or more) PCI video cards. Windows should use them in slot order (PCI slot 1 is usually the one closer to the AGP slot).

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1