VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Hobson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Umm lets see i read all the other posts on master of magic and this problem didnt seem to be listed... Well i have no problem with the sound and music. The speed is fine, so far everything seems right except one thing when i hit next turn to let the turn go by it takes like 2minutes to do that, I have a pretty fast PC so i doubt its that, but is there a way to make that normal speed i tried increasing CPU to max all that did was mess up the sound

Reply 2 of 17, by Hobson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did read that, i have no problems in combat at all no delays at all its just when i hit next turn when im in the overview of everything besides that im at 100% normal speed, its just that next turn thing nothing to do with combat like that post is all about

Reply 3 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Hobson its just when i hit next turn when im in the overview of everything besides that im at 100% normal speed, its just that next turn thing nothing to do with combat like that post is all about

Hold on, you're not getting the delayed sound problem mentioned?

May we presume you're running on some version of Win9x? This, BTW, is why we ask for System Specs "up front". Inevitably we end up having to specifically ask for them for troubleshooting purposes anyway...

For example, if you have the proper OS and a fast enough processor, I might recommend DosBox. Since I don't know either of those...

Reply 4 of 17, by Hobson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No i am not getting that sound delay its just takeing like 2min when i hit next turn, i have no sound problems what so ever. I am running Windows XP. i think pentium 4 at 2.3 Gigahertz... 512 mb ram.... its a new computer still so i should have all speed requirements.

Reply 6 of 17, by Hobson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know its not about computer speed i just want to know why if i have a fast computer i have this issue with MoM and other people dont who probally have slower computers and if they dont have the problem i thought maybe someone could tell me how to fix it

Reply 8 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hobson wrote:

I know its not about computer speed i just want to know why if i have a fast computer i have this issue with MoM and other people dont who probally have slower computers and if they dont have the problem i thought maybe someone could tell me how to fix it

Welcome to the wonderful world of computers. Within you will find plenty of answers to questions but also many more questions to those answers. It could be many things:

Earth's distance from Mars perhaps?
A recently applied updated from Microsoft?
Unoptimized bios settings?
Distorted perception of the user?
Crankiness of the computer?
Hardware problems?
Different versions of the game?
etc.
etc.

Have you tried the game without sound in NTVDM? Perhaps the sound COULD be causing a delay....perhaps not.

As suggested by Qbix, try DosBox. This will reduce the variables considerably.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 17, by Hobson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

umm... I have been useing Dosbox this is where im getting this delay. Without Dosbox it runs perfectly cept it says i dont have enough memory if i try to enable sound and music... So natrually i looked online for a dos emulator so i could play the game normally with sound and music, and ive tried that VDMS before and like... that did... absoultly nothing.. Does anyone know of another dos emulator id like to try them all to see what gives me best performance...

Reply 10 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink* Didya, like, install and configure the game from inside DOSBox? That's kinda important. And, read the damn README for VDMSound, you clearly aren't using it correctly.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 11 of 17, by Hobson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmmm i did install magic useing dosbox and the sound settings it had set... however... i dont under VDMS and i could never get that to work properlly... ill read the readme again but last time that didnt do me much good..

Reply 14 of 17, by Hobson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok... so it is... but all i want is for MoM to run perfectly on my system since i love that game... ive spent a long time trying to find stuff for it to work, dosbox has been the closest ive got, so any suggetions on what to do with Dosbox to get that next turn thing fixed... i gave it all my cpu speed and it actually takes longer so i dont know why its doing this...

Reply 15 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Hobson Ok... so it is... but all i want is for MoM to run perfectly on my system since i love that game... ive spent a long time trying to find stuff for it to work,

Hobson, no offense, but we ALL want our favorite title to run perfectly, but it appears that, in your eagerness to run it, you haven’t been paying attention to the basics of running a DOS title in XP. We know this because you tried to run VDMSound within DosBox. If you had understood what DosBox and VDMSound were, you would have never tried that.

So stop, drop all presumptions, and start from the beginning. Also understand that you might never get your favorite to run "perfectly". Sometimes, even when you give a program exactly what it's looking for, it won't run perfectly.

Now, you can run it with VDMSound; but it will have the audio-delay effect.

You can run it in DosBox, but you will have to "tune" DosBox to run it (no double-size window, adjust cycles, etc...) . When you run it DosBox, you've got to understand, you're not just running the game. You are fully emulating a PC and that takes a lot of processor power, even "Virtual PC" for Windows doesn't do that. Running a game on top of that emulation takes even more.

Having said all that, you should have enough power for it to run smoothly within DosBox. Try it with VDMSound first, other than the sound-delay issue, it should work fine. Does it?

Reply 16 of 17, by Hobson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well i solved the problem, dont know why i didnt do this in the first place, just go find a old computer like from 96 and 97 i got one from my neighbor for free because he said he didnt need it anymore and he was just going to toss it so now i can spend my happy days playing MoM with no problems at all (I am in heaven).... So in other words if you can find a old computer do that for everything else theres dosbox

Reply 17 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Hobson just go find a old computer like from 96 and 97 i got one from my neighbor for free because he said he didnt need it anymore and he was just going to toss it so now i can spend my happy days playing MoM with no problems at all

Well, whatever works for you...

Of course, not everyone has a neighbor giving away an older computer...