VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CGRemakes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm new to the forum. I currently am trying to get an old DOS version of Primal Rage to run on my P4 2.4 Ghz machine using DOSBox. I am able to run all DOS programs I've tried so far, but for some reason as soon as I execute this one, it just exits both Primal Rage and DOSBox. I have 1 GB RAM, a GeForce4 video card running Windows XP. If I run the program in Windows, not through an emulator, it says "Primal Rage requires at least a 486 processor". I don't even get that much when I do run it through the emulator.

Reply 3 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If DosBox drops you to desktop without warning it means that the games is making some 'illegal' instruction or something for DosBox, that is, there is something not supported yet under DosBox. Try the game under a regular windows dos box without music and sound first. If it works, try using VDMSound, then.

Reply 4 of 10, by CGRemakes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's what I figured. I've tried it using VDMS and it didn't work either. I guess I will just have to wait until it's supported by DOSBox. I appreciate your support and quick replies. 😀

Reply 6 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bizarre.

Running it with VDMSound results in this message:
Primal Rage requires at least a 486 microprocessor.

!!!!

Patch makes no difference. Running it in DosBox, it declares it "cannot find index!".

Reply 7 of 10, by CGRemakes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
Bizarre. […]
Show full quote

Bizarre.

Running it with VDMSound results in this message:
Primal Rage requires at least a 486 microprocessor.

!!!!

Patch makes no difference. Running it in DosBox, it declares it "cannot find index!".

That's the exact problem I was having. 🙁 Oh well, I'm sure it will be supported some day. Just figured I'd give the game a try on my "MAME machine".

Reply 8 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by CGRemakes That's the exact problem I was having.

I had originally thought you were getting the error while in DosBox. Eventually, it will probably run in DosBox or some other full-PC emulator.

Reply 9 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

i've actually investigated the matter and i can actually get to the point where the 2 dino's are standing in front of eacht other.

It seems to switch to the z:\ drive before looking for the index file. (switch back when not found and open another file from the right drive)

I don't know why it does that. setting the drive to the good drive makes the game run(just before looking for the index file). I think it does some sort of cdrom checking idea and we don't provide the right response.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 10, by Im2Mental

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am currently tying to get Primal rage running also, i use dos box with boxer.
in the command area on boxer i put
mount C C:\dosprog

mount n n:\ -t cdrom -label prageiv122

then run dosbox from boxer, the program is installed in the C:\dosprog folder and my cdrom is drive N.
when i run the Prage exe file it goes up all the way to saying primal rage cannot initiate cdrom . 😖
Can someone pleaze help me with this.
Thanks,
Norman
PS i also get the same message with vdmsound the requires 486 processor
one, have tried that also.

I booted my computer off a 98 boot disk and am able to play the game fine from the dos prompt there with cd support , but still trying to get sound working , just have internal speaker playing music.

HP Athlon 1000mhz 512 megs sdram GF4 64ddr video Phillips 5.1 sonic edge sound CDRW 16x24x16 DVD rom Windows XP Pro :happyhappy […]
Show full quote

HP Athlon 1000mhz
512 megs sdram
GF4 64ddr video
Phillips 5.1 sonic edge sound
CDRW 16x24x16
DVD rom
Windows XP Pro 😁 😜 😵 😈