VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by samsoule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI, is there anybody who can run this game, i've tried under "real" DOS mode (with win98), i know that i have enough memory (i've checked with the MEM command)

And all i get running it, is a black screen and nothing more.
i think it uses VESA and i don't know if My geforce2 Ti loves VESA
(btw it runs very slowly on DOSBOX cvs)

Does anybody knows how to get it works under "real" msDOS ?

Reply 2 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by samsoule i think it uses VESA and i don't know if My geforce2 Ti loves VESA

Not in XP it don't. Do a quick search with GeForce and VESA. Reports vary, but the GF2 is on the "poor support" list.

If it's not running in "real DOS" it may be because of a lack of conventional memory or an EMS memory problem. Hard to tell without the game or a demo of it. Hrrrm. Apparently the American release of this was called: CEO. Will do some searching...

Reply 3 of 8, by samsoule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

- you can find it on EDITED (trying to avoid direct links) the-underdogs.org if you're searching the name AIV network - or maybe you already have it ...

I've tried this game on my other computer 150Mhz 80 Mo and voodoo rush ("thunder storm" as i love to call it)

And the game runs under Win98 .

Ok, so, i think the reason why it doesn't run on my other system is the fact that i have both Win98 and winXp so during booting i 've got a boot manager to choose which system i'd like to use (i don't know the name on XP)
I think that it uses some conventional memory or something like that, and everytime that my win98 starts i've got a message saying that EMM386 could not start (i'll try to give you the right sentence) even if this and the Himem.sys file exist.

Is it the thing that is in charge of the EMS memory ?
or rather : wich command decides how much EMS memory i have ?
(i think it's about config.sys or autoexec.bat)

Last edited by samsoule on 2003-08-29, 06:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by samsoule oh, ok i've found the problem about EMS memory, it just an EMM386.exe parameter to add
c:\win...\EMM386.exe RAM m9

Ok, so I take it that you got it to run properly in Win98?

Reply 6 of 8, by samsoule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah ... but i've no midi sounds
only digitalized sounds

I don't understand why... my sound card is an AC97 integrated one. (with sb legacy drivers included)

Do you know How i can have Midi sound ?
(BTW that's really strange)

Reply 7 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by samsoule I don't understand why... my sound card is an AC97 integrated one. (with sb legacy drivers included)

Do you know How i can have Midi sound ?

You won't have MIDI support in DOS/Win9x unless your soundcard/chipset and it's software supports an emulated internal MIDI device. Otherwise, you have to hook up an external (real) MIDI device.

In Win2K and XP, that's already part of the OS.

Reply 8 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FWIW,
In XP, it must be run with /c parameter (killing all audio).

In DosBox CVS, it starts playing snippets of audio with a blank screen then eventually dies with a MEMORY-01: Not enough EMS memory error. Can be run with /c parameter.