VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Marcelo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I need help from you good folks out there! I am unable to make Aces of the Deep run under WinXP. I just bought it on Ebay and I have GREAT memories of playing it...
First, my computer specs:

Motherboard ASUS P4S333
Processor Pentium 4 2.0 GHz
512MB DDR 333Mhz RAM
PNY Geforce 4 4200Ti 128MB AGP8x
Creative Sound Blaster Live
WinXP Professional fully updated
Aces of the Deep CD for DOS 5.0+ (and I installed patch 1.2, but it did not run without the patch too, anyway)

Description of problem: The game just won't run, I already tried setting all .EXE files in the game directory to compatibilty mode to Win95 AND 256 colors AND disabling visual themes. I also tried to run it with -s for no sound on the command line. A DOS windows appears and it keeps running with endless GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT messages.
I read in other posts that some people have been able to make AOD run under WinXP. So if anyone can help, please do so. I will be most grateful.
😀

Mr. War

Reply 1 of 11, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows compatibility modes are for WINDOWS PROGRAMS ONLY. I'm a bit confused about this one, it seems there is a Windows version AND a DOS version, which is rather irritating. You say you're using the DOS version, good for you, you followed the guidelines. Unfortunately the only time we've tried getting this working is with the Windows version.

Try using DOSBox.

Here's what MICROSOFT has to say about running it in Windows 9x (which means it most certainly won't work under XP):

Aces of the Deep by Dynamix (Sierra Online)
Executables: AOD.BAT, AOD.EXE

If you run Aces of the Deep in Windows 95, it encounters internal assertion failures. Run it in MS-DOS mode to resolve these errors.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 11, by Marcelo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, Snover, but it did not work...

And I was able to make Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis AND Monkey Island 1 run with sound, as tests, just to make sure I had not done anything wrong.

I did not know that there was a Windows version of AoD.
I remember well that, many years ago, I would run it on DOS.
Actually, AoD was not a very stable game even on these days, I also remember that I used to save a lot because it crashed often.

Well, I will keep trying to find a solution... If there is one.

Mr. War

Reply 4 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Marcelo Damn, I am still unable to play it...

Not sure I have it...will keep looking. Even if I find it, odds are that it won't run without "full emulation" like DosBox.

Even it's re-release is a bit of a pig and I couldn't get it running with any kind of sound.

Reply 5 of 11, by Marcelo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, my odyssey continues...

Being unable to make AoD run in XP and since I have 2 HDs, I formatted one as FAT32 (both were formatted NTFS) and installed Win98SE on it (needlessly to say that took some time...).
I booted my system with Win98SE.
I installed the game.
It STILL did not run on Win98SE.
I booted it with DOS (from Win98SE), AND IT DID NOT RUN.
I tried to make a boot disk using the Sierra installation program but it did not work, it gave an error message (Not enough memory!?).
I made a boot disk by directly running the DOS boot disk creation program included in the game CD. It worked. I booted my system from this disk and IT STILL DID NOT RUN.

What is the problem with this game anyway???
It should not be this hard to make a DOS game run under Win98SE, should it?

Mr. War

Reply 8 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Marcelo What is the problem with this game anyway???

Nothing is certain, but I believe the game was never stable or cooperative in it's original OS.

It should not be this hard to make a DOS game run under Win98SE, should it?

Compared to "Psychic Detective", AotD is an amateur ...

Originally posted by Marcelo ...AND i tried to call aodcd.exe with -S.

That parameter is only for the SVGA remake.

BTW,
http://www.subsim.com/
http://207.44.164.159/phpBB/index.php

Reply 9 of 11, by lamarampa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At least part of the problem is the soundcard. Aces of the Deep has a known, incurable incompatibility with SB Live; I had exactly the same experience. Even if you do get it running, you'll never get sound.

I don't know if the W95 re-issue (Command Aces of the Deep) will run with this card; I haven't tried it on my SBLive-fitted machine, but CAOD has problems of its own on any machine - mainly the sound cutting out. And don't even think about running the voice-recognition feature. There have been very surprising reports of CAOD running under XP, which is, to put it mildly, surprising.

Reply 10 of 11, by lamarampa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Further to my miserably-written last contribution (look at those two "surprisings" in the last excuse for a sentence - duh), there is currently a thread on running CAOD in XP over at comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.naval.