VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by silverfoxx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a DOS game that is possible to run under windows 95. I do not have windows 95, i got windows XP. Now this makes it a lot harder. The game is Pandora Directive. Its a game fromt he year 1996.

Alright ive got the following problem,

when i launch Pandora with VDMsound it freezes at the intro movie. Altough i see the first frame of the movie, the movie doesnt play. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Btw when i enable Basic VESA Support, VDMsound says that the VESA Driver was not found or installed... i know this is a known issue but i couldnt find a good solution. Well at least not for this game...please help...im such a loser for not getting this... 🙁

This is probably the last step i need to do to get pandora working so please help...

My pc specifcations are:

CPU and CPU Speed
PC 1: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1,67,
PC 2: Pentium IV 2,4 Ghz

Motherboard and Chipset
PC 1: Albatron KX400-88x, KT400/235,
PC 2: Asus P4s8x-x, SiS648

Video Card and Video RAM
PC 1: ATI Radeon 9600 128 MB,
PC 2: ATI RADEON 9700 pro 128 MB

Sound Card
PC 1: integrated AV 97 audio,
PC 2: Integrated Soundmax and Creative soundblaster 4.1 PCI

System RAM Amount and Type
PC 1: 896 MB DDR,
PC 2: 1024 MB DDR

CD/DVD Drive and Speed
PC 1: CD-RW 16x writing
PC 1: DVD drive 4x
PC 2: CD-RW 24x writing

Hard Drive and Partition Format
PC 1: 10 GB 5200 rpm FAT32
PC 2: 120 GB 7200 rpm NTFS

Last edited by silverfoxx on 2003-09-01, 20:23. Edited 1 time in total.

How do i get pandora to work propperly?!

Reply 1 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, try searching the forum for Pandora Directive. IIRC, This has been mentioned before. If you already have then I apologize.

P.S. Put your system specs in your forum profile. Much easier that way. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 11, by silverfoxx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi there, DOS freak ® 😁

i searched it but i coudlnt quite come out with a good awnser for it. Also my pc specs are in my profile i just thought it was easier this way..

So please help me out here 🙁

Reply 3 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by silverfoxx Btw when i enable Basic VESA Support

All that does is place your command prompt into full-screen mode before starting anything. It's not a VESA emulator.

This is probably the last step i need to do to get pandora working so please help...

I doubt it. Read through this thread completely. Yes, it really is that complex and that big of a pain.

Reply 4 of 11, by silverfoxx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All that does is place your command prompt into full-screen mode before starting anything. It's not a VESA emulator.

Well it must do a lot more then that. How come it starts up when i disable it?!!!

And another question, at one point in Vesa mode i got to the point actually asked me if i wanted to continue. I had no mouse pointer.

Now ive read thru the thread but NOTHING explained this so please can some of you experts say what the hell is wrong.

I just wanna play my game and im testing it now for almost a WEEK!!!!! 🙁

Reply 5 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by silverfoxx Well it must do a lot more then that.

Not really, no.

How come it starts up when i disable it?!!!

Some titles require that the command prompt already be in full-screen mode before the DOS program starts in order for VESA to work properly. Other titles don't require this, and may in fact, perform more poorly if you enable it.

And another question, at one point in Vesa mode i got to the point actually asked me if i wanted to continue. I had no mouse pointer.

Now ive read thru the thread but NOTHING explained this so please can some of you experts say what the hell is wrong.

This is probably related to your video card, as I'm not getting this issue with the mouse. Odds are, you'll need some assistance from someone with a Radeon. DosFreak has one, but I'm not sure if it's the same model and he's very very busy nowadays.

I just wanna play my game and im testing it now for almost a WEEK!!!!!

Join the club. Some of us have been tinkering with some titles (on and off) for years.

Even with Pandora, we're not getting consistent results (as you have come to discover).

Reply 6 of 11, by silverfoxx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmnn thanks for the reply, but have you got a solution to my problem. I myself am i thinking that i got no mouse pinter because it doesnt detect a mouse.

Also if none of you have a solution...Do you think i could get it to work...in like....ever?

Reply 7 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by silverfoxx hmnn thanks for the reply, but have you got a solution to my problem.

No, not really. The problem doesn't happen on my hardware, which precludes the majority of related troubleshooting.

Also if none of you have a solution...Do you think i could get it to work...in like....ever?

You could always try setting up a dual-boot.

As a quick-and-rough test, you could try installing it to your FAT32 partition then try running it from a boot disk with Win98 boot files (and DOS drivers for mouse and CD-ROM) on it.

It would still need tweaking, even then. You up for that?

Reply 9 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by silverfoxx already tried dual boot,

With a DOS or Win9x OS? Your system specs only ID WinXP. Do you mean you tried with a DOS/Win9x floppy?

everything was running perfect, expect cd switching is a problem and no sound

Well, you would have to have your "SB Live" DOS drivers loaded (and I believe they require EMM386) so I don't know if you could get them working properly using a floppy.

Haven't heard of a CD-swap problem before. Hrmm.

Reply 10 of 11, by silverfoxx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright i use multiboot with a windows 98 bootdisk.

Erm i havent got sb live. ive got ac 97 integrated audio

and yes ive got a problem when swapping from 1 to 2 . it freezes

Reply 11 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by silverfoxx Alright i use multiboot with a windows 98 bootdisk.

Ok, does that mean you have an actual installation of Windows 98 or you just have more than one OS on your computer and you have a bootdisk with Win98 files on it?

Erm i havent got sb live. ive got ac 97 integrated audio

Ok, I was going by your system specs that identified a "Creative soundblaster 4.1 PCI". Apparently you're doing this on "PC #1". Well, unless your onboard chipset specifically supports DOS audio, you can forget getting audio at the DOS level.