VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay...

I love VDMSound, don't get me wrong. But there are some games out there that simply will not work due either to VDMSound incompatibility or XP problems. In order to rectify these situations I have constructed a DOS-box to run some old games complete with an AWE32 I got off of ebay for $5 (I can't beleive this cost $400 10 years ago!)

PIII 666 (I know it's too fast...Who thought we'd ever say that!)
256 MB PC-133
Epox Apollo Pro 133A Mobo
AWE32 (Latest drivers)
3dFX Voodoo 4 AGP
MS-DOS 6.22 w/ Qemm 8.03 (patched)

I am encountering a strange error when starting this game. It says:

"Using 2000K or EMS will add more music and speech.
set files=30 in you config.sys"

Hmmm. Odd considering I have 261,180,000+ EMS available, and FILES=40 in my config.sys....

So to make sure I wasn't being dumb, I created a new path in my configuration files to load a 'basic' setup with EMS and mouse driver only. No sound drivers, no QEMM memory managers or anything. I try to run TIE and I get the same error.

Any ideas on this one guys?

Thanks in advance..

Reply 1 of 4, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This doesn't relate directly to your problem, but I hoep you were not expecting legacy 3Dfx support from the Voodoo4.
From the Voodoo3 onwards it was impoosible to get "older" Glide games to work with 3Dfx's own cards. Maybe grab a Voodoo2 and slap it in there too! (The voodoo 1 sometimes has problems with FSB over 100).

Reply 2 of 4, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Carrera wrote:

This doesn't relate directly to your problem, but I hoep you were not expecting legacy 3Dfx support from the Voodoo4.
From the Voodoo3 onwards it was impoosible to get "older" Glide games to work with 3Dfx's own cards. Maybe grab a Voodoo2 and slap it in there too! (The voodoo 1 sometimes has problems with FSB over 100).

There are some environment settings that can sometimes help, but I agree, success is far and few between.

Reply 3 of 4, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good suggestions guys but this is not the CD (Glide) version. It is the 2d one...

Something, maybe the graphics card or the unheard-of ammount of EMS (at least back when this game was made) is causing the error. It's interesting that it returns an error about file handlers because there are plenty (it wants 30, I have 40.)

Any other sugestions?

Thanks!

Reply 4 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Carrera This doesn't relate directly to your problem, but I hoep you were not expecting legacy 3Dfx support from the Voodoo4.

This is all fine well, except that TIE Fighter never had Glide support. Not in the 1998 re-release and certainly not in the 1995 original.

Originally posted by prismra 256 MB PC-133 Epox Apollo Pro 133A Mobo AWE32 (Latest drivers) 3dFX Voodoo 4 AGP MS-DOS 6.22 w/ Qem […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by prismra 256 MB PC-133
Epox Apollo Pro 133A Mobo
AWE32 (Latest drivers)
3dFX Voodoo 4 AGP
MS-DOS 6.22 w/ Qemm 8.03 (patched)

I take it then that you're trying to run this on your "old" PC and not the one with XP?

I am encountering a strange error when starting this game. It says: "Using 2000K or EMS will add more music and speech. set fi […]
Show full quote

I am encountering a strange error when starting this game. It says:

"Using 2000K or EMS will add more music and speech.
set files=30 in you config.sys"

Hmmm. Odd considering I have 261,180,000+ EMS available, and FILES=40 in my config.sys....

Do a search through Google groups and you'll find a number of people who've had the problem. It's apparently a bug.

1) If you were running this from Win95 or Win98, I'd suggest limiting the memory the game gets through the properties settings of it's shortcut (but you're in DOS 6, so that's out).

2) Try using the games setup to make a Boot Disk for you. (Note that even this didn't fix the problems for some people)

3) Give up and try running it on the XP machine.