VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by chimera99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just followed your Steele Panthers tutorial and low and behold, I now have Fantsy General on XP with sound and mouse! Thanks for the help. Don't be too hard on the other poster. I used to build prototype boards for 286 machines and program them with a mix of assembly and C to make flight test equipment for F-14's. What I'm trying to say is I'm by no means a DOS idiot. However, it was a long time ago and I think I would have had a bit of trouble figuring out DosBox without the help of that thread. It's really great you're willing to help out. (I sort of miss those old days where I could control everything on the machine, right down to the hardware and software interrupts. At least until I have to start moving a whole bunch of files around. [grin] I'm afraid I'm now addicted to drag 'n drop.)

Thanks again.

Reply 1 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow. A thread in my own name...Hrmm...Better change that...might end up with a golden calf scenario ...swallowed up by the earth...screaming...not good.

*changes thread title*

Originally posted by chimera99 Don't be too hard on the other poster. ...What I'm trying to say is I'm by no means a DOS idiot. However, it was a long time ago and I think I would have had a bit of trouble figuring out DosBox without the help of that thread.

Well, from his the last line of his previous post, it sounded like he was giving up and not even going to try it. Kind of like refusing to take needed medicine because it smells bad...*heh*

Anyway, I would never staple a cat to a tree. Don't even have a cat... or a stapler, I do have an old box of staples, though.

I suppose I could always throw the staples at some cat...would probably ignore me.

Reply 2 of 18, by nmdoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

just wanted to get some help with fan gen. followed all the steps outlined in the hilarious steel panthers posting...but not too successful in getting fan gen to work. dosbox flicks open for a millisecond with an unreadable message, then kicks me back out into win xp. running it on a p4 512ram, 32mb video card. vdmsound also installed. thanks.

Reply 3 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by nmdoc just wanted to get some help with fan gen. followed all the steps outlined in the hilarious steel panthers posting...

Went back and found that the be part of Let me be frank... was missing. No wonder my comic genius wasn't recognized.

...but not too successful in getting fan gen to work. dosbox flicks open for a millisecond with an unreadable message, then kicks me back out into win xp.

Guess I misunderstood you earlier...you're saying you still can't get it to work? with or with using DosBox?

When running it without DosBox, did you try removing any UNIVBE commands from the starting batch file and run it with NOLFB.COM?

Reply 4 of 18, by nmdoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry i wasn't too clear. it was not able to run. i did try to run it in xp using dosbox. loaded up the c: drive and d: (cd-rom). set dosbox to full screen, typed in c:fg, then fg.bat. seemed like it tried to run, dosbox flashed for a half second then closed, leaving me with nothing but my desktop. opened up the fg.bat file but only found cd exe, barena n, cd.. no UNIVEB or NOLFB.COM line. appreciate the help though.

Reply 5 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by nmdoc i did try to run it in xp using dosbox. loaded up the c: drive and d: (cd-rom).

Meaning you mounted them properly, as in:
MOUNT C C:\
MOUNT D D:\ -t cdrom

Right?

set dosbox to full screen, typed in c:fg,

Well, presuming your game was in the FG directory of C:\ and you meant you typed:
C:
CD FG
...then that's right.

...then fg.bat. seemed like it tried to run, dosbox flashed for a half second then closed

Will have to check back with you in a few days when I have access to my own PC again on this.

Reply 6 of 18, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Works, although my "great" mouse fixes have actually broken this game 😀 I'll post a screen shot at the DOSBox forum.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 18, by nmdoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i just downloaded the fantasy general from the web, installed it in xp and it ran without problems (on xp, w/o using doxbox), as opposed to the trouble i have been having with the cd initially. the web download version doesn't have the intro or music though. also, after exiting the web version, the desktop is corrupted. i would still prefer to play the gave of the cd instead.

Reply 9 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix Works, although my "great" mouse fixes have actually broken this game

I presume this is from a recent CVS release, as it was working properly last I had checked.

Originally posted by nmdoc opened up the fg.bat file but only found cd exe, barena n, cd.. no UNIVEB or NOLFB.COM line. appreciate the help though.

Just to sure...make sure you do NOT use NOLFB.COM with DosBox...only when your are NOT running DosBox should you be using it.

will be patient and wait for guidance, or arrival of fantasy general 2.

Wouldn't bother waiting for the latter...

Ok, I'm back at my PC...the "normal" batch file is FG.BAT. Inside it should have something like this:
cd exe
barena n

Using the CVS release of DosBox (the official 0.58 release will definitely not work with FG), mount the drives as mentioned earlier, then move to the game directory, then type CD EXE and press the Enter key.

Then type BARENA and press the Enter key. If you think audio might be causing problems, then run the SOUND.BAT program and choose No digital audio and save.

Reply 10 of 18, by nmdoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ran w/o intro, but music works ok. unable to get beyond first screen though due to the "general's mouse"; mouse2kv didn't help, although my wallpaper is now confined to the upper left of my screen.

just to be sure i edited the fg.bat file correctly:
mouse2kv 640 480 8 8
cd exe
barena n
cd..

if it still doesn't work, tx aint to far from nm.

thanks.

Reply 11 of 18, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Originally posted by nmdoc:

just to be sure i edited the fg.bat file correctly: mouse2kv 640 480 8 8 cd exe barena n cd.. […]
Show full quote

just to be sure i edited the fg.bat file correctly:
mouse2kv 640 480 8 8
cd exe
barena n
cd..

Close, but no cigar...

Try instead:

Assume you put Mouse2KV.exe in a subdirectory named "C:\Utils", you would have as a batch file:

Fantasy General Batch file:

cd \exe
C:\Utils\Mouse2KV 640 480 8 8 Barena.exe n

Remember, Mouse2KV is not a TSR, so the execution of the Fantasy General executable "Barena.exe" must be as listed above in order for it to perform its job...

dvwjr

Reply 12 of 18, by nmdoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

maybe it would be easier for me if you fix the new bat file i have:

cd exe
c:\Utilities\Mouse2KV 640 480 8 8 barena.exe n
cd..

where c:\Utilities is the subdirectory where mouse2kv resides.

somehow i couldn't open the pif example that came with 2kv.

thanks for the help. btw, i date from the time when ssi games ran from 5 1/4 floppies, and conflict middle east represented a tremendous step forward. did not become very dos literate, only enough to get the games going...

Reply 13 of 18, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes. Use the "C:\Utils" sub-directory instead of the "C:\Utilities" name that you chose. There is a reason that I selected "C:\Utils", it has less than eight characters, yours has nine characters. Try mine and you should have no problem.

The other way to solve the problem is by enclosing the complete string in "quotes".

Good luck,

dvwjr

Reply 14 of 18, by nmdoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i did change it to utils just to see if it worked, but the mouse is still limited to only the left 1/3 of the screen. mouse2kv did load properly (i think) as the credits and other stuff appeared on screen. thanks as always.

Reply 15 of 18, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good luck to you then. I tried Mouse2Kv with Fantasy General on Windows NT (SP6a), VDMSound 2.0.4 (Update1,2) and it works just fine with:

cd \exe
C:\Utils\Mouse2KV 640 480 8 8 Barena.exe n
cd..

If it will work on WinNT, then it will work on Win2K or WinXP.

dvwjr

Reply 16 of 18, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
nmdoc wrote:

i did change it to utils just to see if it worked, but the mouse is still limited to only the left 1/3 of the screen. mouse2kv did load properly (i think) as the credits and other stuff appeared on screen. thanks as always.

Just for clearing something up. This is without dosbox I presume.
mouse2kv will not work in dosbox.
(And isn't needed.)

In Dosbox just wait till ripja updates his cvs builds as I fixed a few days ago.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 17 of 18, by nmdoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

actually, i could never get the cd-rom version of fantasy general to work without using dosbox.

tried loading it and running without modifications, it just came back with a garbled screen.

with dosboxcvs as Nicht Sehr Gut detailed in his previous posts, it did run, with music and sound to boot. but, the mouse problem cropped up, hence my posts.

on the other hand, the version without the cd (downloaded from home of the underdogs) runs fine, including mouse (sluggish, but not too bad). but, no music, as it does not bother to detect the cd.

my goal is to be able to play the game with music too, if possible.

Reply 18 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix Just for clearing something up. This is without dosbox I presume.

Correct. He said DosBox wasn't working for him earlier, so I switched to concentrating on running it natively.

In Dosbox just wait till ripja updates his cvs builds as I fixed a few days ago.

From his results, it appears that his only hope is to keep trying CVS releases until he finds one that works (then stick with that version until the next official release).
http://forums.pixelz.org/showthread.php?t=13

BTW, I don't think the n parameter is actually needed. I think all it does is suppress the game from using the CD's audio tracks (which doesn't mean that not using it will force it to use CD audio).